How To Become A Great Assistant Manager?

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
There are many careers which you may choose. Some of them are blue collar careers, while others are white collar careers. Many white collar jobs include working in office. You can get employed in an office and get any position. One of the most interesting position is that of an assistant manager. There are many assistant managers working in offices, banks, financial organizations, etc. As far as I know, an assistant manager is required to "assist" the branch manager or the general manager in the office. They play an important role in the business because they are the ones who manage the business operations at the lower level.

When the business operations are managed properly at the down level, the upper level also performs well. Assistant manager performs the duties of managing accountants, junior level employees, assisting and helping upper level managers, monitoring the performance of other office employees, analyzing the financial performance of the branch, etc. There are so many duties an assistant manager might perform. As far as I know, being educated is one of the main requirements of applying for the job of an assistant manager and having experience is even better. So, how do you view the position of an assistant manager?

E

eldavis

To be a great assistant manager, you should be able to work under pressure and be willing to learn because it is the only way you can gain the needed experience. A great assistant manager should be able to offer solution as well, meaning you should be attentive.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
The duties and responsibilities of the assistant manager depends on the type of organization. There are companies that senior supervisors are promoted to assistant manager level but he is still doing supervisory job with some additions. In some other companies, particularly the big corporations, the assistant manager works as assistant and substitute of the manager. That means when the manager is away the assistant would be signing the documents like the invoice or whatever that needs the signature of the manager. The assistant is the officer in charge when the manager is absent.

In my experience as manager I would be delegating some of my duties to my assistant as part of his learning. When I would be promoted to a higher position or when I would move to another company then my assistant would have a good chance to be the manager. But take note that delegating the duties is only for some duties and not all. The manager may be preempted if the assistant knows everything that the manager does.