How To Become A Good Job Interviewer At Workplace?

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
It is quite common thing that whenever you apply for a job, you need to prepare for a job interview. Almost all the people try their best to get prepared for the interview when they are invited for one. However, do you know that you need to get prepared well when you are the one who conducts interview? Well, you got it right. It is not only the interviewee who needs to get ready for an interview, in fact, the interviewer also needs to get ready for the interview because generally an interviewer tends to meet oodles of people in a day and they have to deal with many candidates who come and apply for the job.

Each and every candidate might have a different personality and mentality. A wise and smart interviewer needs to deal with each and every person in a different manner in order to select the right candidate for the job. Many big organizations usually conduct many interviews and you need to possess good qualities as an interviewer when you work in the human resource department of any company. So, what kind of great characteristics must an interviewer possess in order to become better at conducting interviews?

Jasz

VIP Contributor
The ability to conduct a good interview is an important skill for every manager. Good interviews will help you find the best-qualified candidates for the job, and they can help your company improve its overall hiring strategy.

To become a successful interviewer, you should take the time to prepare in advance. This can ensure that you have a plan before you meet with candidates. The more thought you put into creating your interview plan, the easier it will be to conduct a successful interview in a shorter amount of time. Here are some tips on how to become a good interviewer:

Prepare questions in advance. Before each interview, create a list of questions that will help you understand each candidate's qualifications for the job and determine if he or she is a good fit for your company. This will allow you to focus on getting answers during the interview rather than on thinking up questions as the interview progresses. Use questions from your list when appropriate during the interview, but feel free to ask additional questions when you need to gain more information about a candidate's experience or qualifications.

Ask open-ended questions during an interview. Although this might sound counterintuitive, closed-ended questions might not give you all of the information you need about candidates' skills, abilities, and experience.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
I had the opportunity to handle the interview of applicants when I was the operations manager of a software house. I have a list of basic and general questions particularly regarding the work experience that includes the relationship with the employer, the boss and the co-employees. Aside from the basic list the special list is more for the unusual like problems encountered in the job, causes of work delays and other things. For an interviewer you need a neutral mind in order to extract the facts from the applicant. In the back of my mind there is the doubt that answers of the applicant are not 100% accurate. When I think that there is something that is not true then I push on that direction. Sometimes the applicant is timid and would not want to elaborate but if what he was saying was important so I had to ask about the details one more time.