How To Become A Professional Chef And Get A Job At A Restaurant?

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
There are many kinds of professions you can choose. I always believe that you must pursue such kind of profession that is your passion as well. This is because people who pursue a career they love are most likely to become good achievers later in life. One of the most fascinating profession is the career of a chef. A chef is a kind of professional cook in restaurants who is an extremely talented person when it comes to making some of the best dishes in the world. There are many chefs in the world who cook vegetables in such as a way that even many people, who always eat meat and prefer meat, also become addicted to the vegetables prepared by that special chef! I remember eating in an expensive restaurant where such kind of thing happened to me. I never liked the taste of Cauliflower, but that specific chef of that restaurant prepared cauliflower in such as way that I could eat the Cauliflower prepared by him for the whole day! It requires special talent to make such kind of food in such a way that you literally change the taste of food! So, do you think that being a chef takes a lots of practice and time? What courses do you need to pursue to become a chef?

E

eldavis

There catering schools or classes one can enroll in if you plan on becoming a professional chef. It is has to do with mostly practicals though. Courses like home economics, catering and craft practice would be common courses

Kingsley

Valued Contributor
This is one job that has a lot to do with passion, for one to succeed as professional chef you must have strong passion for the job as the job is very challenging and at the same time very rewarding. Anyway when one has cross the hurdle of loving the job then it will be wise to also attend a catering school where one can learn everything that there is to learn about both local and continental dishes.

Then when that hurdle has been crossed the nest face is to look out for hotels that fits in to the job description you intend to work as there are lots of opportunities in that field.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
Literally speaking, I am not good with cooking, their is no way I can become a good chef anytime soon, it secure a restaurant cooking job when I'm not good cooking. The reason why, is that, I've been around the internet for some time now. Even without the internet I love playing console games alot, sing songs, play mobile phone games, such takes me faraway from cooking. Even when I see my mom cooking or my senior sisters I simply don't pay attention to cooking because I don't have appetite to stay around the chicken and watch them cook. But it's a tremendous kind of job to do especially when you're better at it.

Mika

VIP Contributor
In order to build your career as a chef, you need to go to a food school. You can try two different types of courses, one a long-term course where you will get a degree, or a short-term course where you get a certification. The long-term course can last for 4 years (if you go for a bachelor's program) or a few months for short-term course. Both can help you if you come out as a good cook. You can build cooking skills through self-studies, but getting hired can be a great problem if you do not have graduated from a reputed hospitality school.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
We have a friend whose son studied culinary arts in the hope of being a chef in a high end restaurant. But with the difficulty of finding a good job he landed in a small restaurant. The father did not like it so he sent his son to Singapore to enhance his knowledge. But the main purpose of the educational trip is not the knowledge but the certificate from a known culinary school. After finishing the course in 3 months the son came home and got a job in a big beach resort to handle the restaurant. From that experience, I see that a chef needs good and recommendable credential. Even if you are a good chef who can whip up good dishes but if you have no excellent credentials then you will land in a small eatery.

Moreover, 5-star hotels hire only a chef with a course from reputable schools abroad. That is discriminatory but it is an unwritten rule so no one can file a complaint against the hotel. To be frank, I have dined in many 5-star hotels and I can say that their dishes are almost just the same in the small hotels. If you want good food then go to a nice restaurant instead of the restaurant in the hotel.