How to avoid renting to nightmare tenants.

Holicent

VIP Contributor
There are a few ways to avoid renting to nightmare tenants. One of the most important is to make sure you know who you're renting to. You can do this by talking to previous landlords or even asking them directly if they have any bad experiences with their tenants. Another way is to ask for references from previous landlords, neighbors, and friends who have rented property in the same neighborhood as yours. The more information you have about your tenant's history, the better off you'll be.

Another thing you should do is ask for references right away! If you find out that someone has a history of being difficult to work with and not paying their bills on time, it's best to get out while you still can. If they've lied about anything on an application or rental agreement, it's also worth looking into whether or not they've ever been arrested or convicted of any crimes.

Finally, always check up on your tenant when they're living there! This can be done by calling every week or two to check in on how things are going and whether or not there were any problems during the day. If there were any problems that warranted an emergency callout from police or fire department personnel (literally anything), make sure everyone at home knows about it so that everyone can be cautious and take the necessary steps.

Talking to previous landlords may seem right but to me,you don't have to capitalize on that, some landlords are nightmares as well, troublesome person and you may just lose a good tenant when you ask such landlords questions,the two may not have a good relationship due to the fact that the previous tenants seek for their rights while been treated anyhow by the landlord,so it's likely you get a falsehood information just to spite the tenants.

Same with having a previous bad neighbors, false information may be flying out about you ànd you have no idea,this is the reason why I like respecting myself while staying on my lane, and ignore any false information I has about me.

When choosing a tenant,you just have to do some things on your own because we are all humans and trust no one. And it's good you do your personal research before asking anyone as it gives room to know what's up.

If you’re looking for a tenant and want to avoid a nightmare, here are some tips.
1. Look at the rental history of the property. If it’s been used as a rental property in the past, it may have had issues with tenants before. Check online reviews and talk to neighbors to see if there have been any complaints about the property or its tenants.

2. Check out the rental history of your potential tenant on sites like Zillow or Trulia. These websites can help you get information on credit scores, employment history, income tax returns and other records that can help you make an informed decision about whether or not your potential tenant will be able to pay rent on time each month without causing major financial damage to your business!

3. Be careful about who you choose for representation when signing a lease agreement with your tenant -- especially when it comes to non-compete clauses in the contract that may protect your business from competitors'

The main reason why we keep making mistake as a landlord renting house to a nightmare tenant is that we don't decide to make research and study the people we are giving out our house as a landlord , there must be rules and regulations which you must give the incoming tenant , tell him or her to go and study and digest the form for sometimes and come back if he or she thinks they can abide by the rules and regulations on the form .
The second issue here is that when we gives out our house to house agents , they seems not to care about the people they give out our house so far the tenant is paying them their percentage , so as a landlord , you must get a good agent that you will leave in care of your house , and you must also be careful of tenants that gives false information .