How much salary an applicant should ask for a new job?

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
When I was 2 years in my first job, a friend invited me to apply to their company. When I was considered for a higher position I was offered a salary that is 20% higher than what I was earning. It was pretty good until I learned that their working days are from Monday to Saturday. In my present job we work 5 days a week only.

For transferring to a new job the recommended salary increase is at least 20% of your present income. You also have to list down all the benefits like bonuses and profit-sharing. Included are housing loans or car loans, number of sick leaves and vacation leaves per year. Last in the list is the retirement benefit. Do not leave your present job if the benefits cannot be matched by the new company.

Phabbyfundz

Yes this is a matter to ponder on, but in my own opinion I believe this solely depends on the individual ,their worth to an employer ,their skills and so on if you are really a skilled employee and see that you do a lot for the company and know how valuable your services are to the employer you can ask for any amount you feel is suitable for you , but don't over stretch it because if the employer see's he can't afford your services anymore he would drop you and am sure you don't want that to happen.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
This part is the most difficult question for an applicant to answer. Most time they won't want to best themselves down as well as demand too much from their employer. The best answer to this is to ask the organization to pay you their standard. Or you make a bracket offer which may be subjected to negotiation.

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
Some times this days; there are some company whenever they want to employed applicant they usually put the salary scale they are going to pay on their advertisement.
In this case I don't think one need to say any thing again than to make sure that he/she get employed.
But in other way round one can still tell the employer the salary to receive depend on the quality of the applicant.

Mika

VIP Contributor
I can't speak for others, however, when I applied for the job the first time, I asked for the salary that I actually deserved. My asking salary was based on the knowledge and skills required for the job. I did not have experience but I had done lot of demo works to showcase on my portfolio.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
When I applied for my first job as an intern, I asked for a salary that was the average salary for a a manager. The interviewer asked, did I actually deserve that kind of huge salary? I said, "sir, I did not want to degrade myself by asking for poor pay scale." I was hired but was offered 50 percent of what I asked.

Rachael

Verified member
Throughout all my days of job hunting, I make it as a necessary part to make findings on the renumeration or salary that is being paid. I hardly go for an interview for a job offer without having a background idea of how much is being paid. Before I even apply for ay interview, I take my time to make findings concerning; the location, if the location is not favorable to my place of residence and if there is no offer for an accommodation, I would not bother going for the interview. The idea of knowing the scale of salary is to give the potential employee the bargaining power. In most interviews, it depends on how confident the candidate fronts the least offer he can take.

When going for an interview, we should try to comport ourselves, no matter how desperate we might be this is because most recruiters and employers can read the body language very well and when once it is observed that you are so desperate to get the job, no matter the level of your bargaining power, the employer would definitely beat the price down to the lowest minimum no matter the level of work that would be involved.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
I don't even know how it is being done normally because I've never seek for employment before, but I just believe you have to also know the normal standard that should be paid based on what you have to do and also based on your own academic qualification.

Or if you are not interested to do it that way, you might even ask them to give you how much they have been paying people with the responsibility you are doing , from there you have a glue of how much you are to asked.

Over here all these things are quite difficult and most of the time even if you ask for a normal payments , a lot of companies won't even like to pay you the exactly amount of money you asked for , they will only wants to pay you a small amount of money that won't even be enough to take care of you for the whole month.

I don't even know, things are just becoming difficult and the government of our country are not really working toward creating employment to improve the standard of people most especially people that have graduated from the University. This is really sad. Is not funny anymore.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
The whole idea of a new job is to have more benefits than what was received in the present company and I believe a lot of workers hold unto this because no one want to leave a good paying job to a low paying one. As such leaving an old job should be because one has a better offer. As you have stated apart from the salary involved other benefits and incentive should be investigated to be sure that the new job worth moving to.

For me I will prefer a high paying job even with more days to work since I love to work especially if it is a job I will enjoy than a low paying ones with less days. But in all it is the government job that is better because almost all comes with good incentives like pension and gratuity which is not known with private jobs

moneyteam

Asking for a salary is always tricky, whether you're applying for a new job or negotiating a raise at your current one. You don't want to lowball yourself and leave money on the table, but you also don't want to price yourself out of a job opportunity. So what's the right amount to ask for?

In general, it's best to research salaries for comparable positions in your industry and geographic area before coming up with a number. Online salary calculators can be helpful, but keep in mind that they often rely on self reported data, which may not be completely accurate. Once you have an idea of what others in similar roles are earning, you can start to formulate your own salary request.