How do you spot a scam site??

sincerem

VIP Contributor
I know many of us here, have encountered several scams during our online job search. Those scam enlightened us, and made us understand the tricks scammers use to to operate online. I have encountered several of scamming sites, especially in the Bitcoin faucets/ptc sites. Where I will work heaven and earth and never get paid my hard earned money. Nothing saddens me than that, at least I can spot one trick scammers use to scam people via their platform.

* scammers will request you deposit little money before working for them, with high rewards to be paid to you when you deposited the exact amount needed from you.

Which other ways can you spot a scam site, looking to defraud people off their hard earned money online??

D

Deleted member 28873

I don't really know much about how to spot scamm sites have always known that there are scamsites, and one of the things I believe is that when an offer sounds too good to be true avoid it because it's probably not true and also like to read the review of sites.Sometimes it is impossible to tell because not all sites start out as scams. They just run out of money and instead of telling their members they just disappear without a trace.so been able to learn about how to get to know legit site and fake sites is actually a great previledge thanks to you all

Shigobad2020

Scam site are everywhere and they are easy to spot when you come in contact with them, for example they will tell you they will give you ten dollars as a sign up bonus, after signing up, they will tell you that you need to pay some amount of money before you can withdraw or even still use all data and strength but won't pay you.

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
There are many signs of a scam website. Some website promise a very high returns. Many websites like HYIP websites are absolutely scam websites. Many Paid to click websites with unprofessional designs will most likely become scam. Even many BAP (Bonus Ad Point) websites that promise a high returns also become a scam after a few weeks or months of being online. There is no such thing as easy money. Any website that offers to pay a lot of money for simply tasks is also a scam. I have covered a good categories of such websites in my post here. Any websites with no good amount of social media websites is also a scam. Unfortunately, many professional looking HYIP sites also became a scam in the past. In fact, a HYIP website with good amount of social media followers also became a scam. There is nothing guaranteed in the online world.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
I always check the reviews of any website I want to join. Not because of anything but I hate it when my time is wasted on any website. I am always on a website for a purpose. When I see that the website offers more than what I asked for or it offers more than normal. I will know. Besides, like I said the review of the previous users or some rating websites will give me an inkling in knowing a scam site. Or if the site asks for sensitive documents.

IamDozzy

I simply check for reviews about them and their kids of payment. If I am satisfied with the two then I join. From the reviews you'd instantly know if the site is a scam or not. Some site stylishly scam some people and leave the others so that people would still patronize them. When you check the reviews of some site and about 80% of people are praising them, then that site is definitely good but when it like 50% praise, 50% complaint, then you have to run away from such sites.

gochenko8

8Look for a padlock​

A padlock next to a website's URL means the site is encrypted, so what you do on on it – such as browse or make payments – can't be intercepted.

Most websites now have this feature, so if you notice a site doesn't have one it could be a red flag.

But equally, scammers are able to forge or buy these padlocks so seeing one doesn't always mean a website is safe.

Checking for a padlock should always be combined with the other checks we've recommended.

gochenko8

Can you trust a trust mark?​

Research carried out by ANEC, a European consumer organisation, found that seven in ten people say they’re more likely to use a website with a trust-mark label or logo.

But with more than 50 different trust-mark labels and logos in use across Europe, and many countries also not using them at all, they are not always a sound way of judging whether a website is trustworthy.

Also, just because a website appears to carry the logo of a reputable trade organisation, it still doesn’t necessarily mean the website is genuine.

If you’re in doubt, you could always contact the trust-mark company to check.

gochenko8

6Read some online reviews​

Look at reviews across a number of sources, such as Trustpilot, Feefo or Sitejabber, which aggregate customer reviews.

Don’t look at just one review website – check several to avoid being influenced by .

You should also check the company’s social media pages for recent activity and to see what other people are posting on their social channels.

gochenko8

5Check the returns policy​

If the company is selling a product online, it should have a shipping and returns policy listed on its website.

If it’s a real company, it should tell you how and where to return a faulty item.

The website should also have terms and conditions, and a privacy policy that tells you exactly what it plans to do with any data you share and any extra contractual rights you may have.

gochenko8

le you can do to get your cash back.

4Browse the website​

Take a couple of minutes to double-check the site. Maybe visit the homepage or the ‘About us’ pages and read the text there.

Watch out for poor English, such as spelling and grammar mistakes, or phrases that don’t sound quite right.

It could mean the site isn’t genuine and was put together by someone abroad looking to make a quick profit.

You should also check that the website lists any contact information.

Reputable and legitimate companies will always list ways to get in touch with them; if the website doesn’t have a ‘Contact us’ page, it could well be fraudulent.

If the site does have ‘Contact us’ page but only offers a form to fill out, be wary as this could also be an indication of a dubious website.

Any company offering goods or services should list a place of business, as well as a phone number or email address through which to contact them.

If none of this information is available, you should treat the website as highly suspicious.

gochenko8

Never pay by bank transfer​

Alarm bells should ring if you are asked to pay for something online via a bank transfer.

If you buy something that turns out to be fake or non-existent with a credit or debit card, you do have some rights to get your money back.

But if you pay by bank transfer, there’s very little you can do to get your cash back.

gochenko8

2Is the offer too good to be true?​

When you see very low prices with ridiculous discounts, you should be a bit suspicious. If prices seem too good to be true then, sadly, they probably are.

Scam websites use low prices to lure bargain-hungry shoppers to quickly sell fake, counterfeit or non-existent items.

You can use our tips for spotting a scam to help you identify if something is actually a good deal or simply a con.

gochenko8

Eight ways to spot a fake, fraudulent or scam website​

It can be difficult to spot a fake, fraudulent or scam website. Fraudsters are extremely cunning and good at creating convincing websites.

Take these eight simple steps to test whether a website is legitimate or not.

1Double-check the domain name​

A lot of fraudulent websites will use a domain name that references a well-known brand or product name. But won't be the official website.

For example, website domains such as www.ipadoffers.net or www.discountnikeclothes.com should raise alarm bells.

You should also be cautious of domains that end in .net or .org, as they are rarely used for online shopping so may have been acquired by questionable organisations.

D

Deleted member 27126

I know many of us here, have encountered several scams during our online job search. Those scam enlightened us, and made us understand the tricks scammers use to to operate online. I have encountered several of scamming sites, especially in the Bitcoin faucets/ptc sites. Where I will work heaven and earth and never get paid my hard earned money. Nothing saddens me than that, at least I can spot one trick scammers use to scam people via their platform.

* scammers will request you deposit little money before working for them, with high rewards to be paid to you when you deposited the exact amount needed from you.

Which other ways can you spot a scam site, looking to defraud people off their hard earned money online??
A scam site is one which pretends to engage in what it doesn't actually engage in. The people behind this type of site always does everything possible to deceive people into believing that what they are doing is legit. To spot a scam site, the first and most important thing to do is to check Google for such site.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
Firstly we are all agreeing to the golden rule that anything too good to be true should raise suspicion as to wether the site is offering good,quality and legitimate services or not.Then you must check their contacts and how easily you can reach them.Best is live social media platform and hopefully they should 'declare their true identity and address if possible.

You should check the payment systems that can be traceable as opposed to open source payment.So bank wire,western union and paypal stands out and can easily be accessed worldwide unless otherwise.So if these are not on the added list to the mentioned comments then considers that site very doubtful and suspicious.
That's true, social media sites, like forums, quora, reddit.com are all good place to spot out a scamming sites. If one follow the comments made by other victimized members that worked on the site you're looking for to work with. If it's legit too, you will find it there, but suspicious you'll still find it there. Trust pilot have helped a lot too, just that, scam sites pays members to fill comments via the trust pilot site. But you will still find people that will say something when they are scammed. So no matter what, if one makes a proper research he must find out a scamming site. Unless he's not willing to do that, he wants to rush in without making adequate research, that's when he'll fall victim of such kind of scam.

Carson20t

Firstly we are all agreeing to the golden rule that anything too good to be true should raise suspicion as to wether the site is offering good,quality and legitimate services or not.Then you must check their contacts and how easily you can reach them.Best is live social media platform and hopefully they should 'declare their true identity and address if possible.

You should check the payment systems that can be traceable as opposed to open source payment.So bank wire,western union and paypal stands out and can easily be accessed worldwide unless otherwise.So if these are not on the added list to the mentioned comments then considers that site very doubtful and suspicious.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
Sometimes it is impossible to tell because not all sites start out as scams. They just run out of money and instead of telling their members they just disappear without a trace. I belonged to a site called Admin Retail which paid to begin with but then there were signs that something was wrong.

The first sign was the admin on the site who had previously been very active seemed to disappear. There were long delays between payments and you could see people asking where their money was. Then we saw the forum was up for sale on a site called Forum Promotion. I only lost around $5 so wasn't really bothered but some lost a lot more.

Of course some are scams from the start and the signs are very high payments, absence of any kind of support and very bad reviews. I always check the reviews before I join a site and then decide.
Interesting to hear about your own opinion about how to spot a scam sites. You said with aplomb, that is true you said. Not all sites start out as scam, they run out of cash and never willing to scam people. At same time vanishing without a trash cos they don't know how to explain such issue to members. Because they might get hostile reception from people, cos no member wants to hear about the site they work for and earn from closing down. But it happens, I will prefer the site announce their intentions earlier before closing down, just as spare 5 did.

Sprite1950

Sometimes it is impossible to tell because not all sites start out as scams. They just run out of money and instead of telling their members they just disappear without a trace. I belonged to a site called Admin Retail which paid to begin with but then there were signs that something was wrong.

The first sign was the admin on the site who had previously been very active seemed to disappear. There were long delays between payments and you could see people asking where their money was. Then we saw the forum was up for sale on a site called Forum Promotion. I only lost around $5 so wasn't really bothered but some lost a lot more.

Of course some are scams from the start and the signs are very high payments, absence of any kind of support and very bad reviews. I always check the reviews before I join a site and then decide.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
I have always been guided by sets of principles that helps me to spot scam, and one of the things I believe is that when an offer sounds too good to be true avoid it because it's probably not true.

Also I try as much as possible to avoid sites that usually request for money before you earn, or for you to pay some money so they can process your pay.

And I also try to read reviews of a site from trusted platforms like trustpilot before joining the site.
That's a good suggestion you made about how scam site operate. Any time a site sounds to good yo be true it ends up being a scam site. Just the way ponzi operates, you will get the message of your money being tripled in just one day. That kind of offer sounds too good but futile, it never work the best way it should. Another one is when a site requires one to pay some tuition before making money through their site, with out using first the free membership, sounds scamming. I don't see any reason why I will sign up to work for a site and I'm ask to pay before working. Even if in offline business, you don't do such, cos they need your services and you aren't the one requesting for their own services.