How Do You handle "customer is always right" in your business?

Yhubee

We all know this common adage in business "customer is always right"
What can we say about this ? Is the customer always right indeed? Some business owners take this matter very serious even to the detriment of their employees,some will treat their employees badly because they want to please their customers.
I understand that customer satisfaction is very important in business but should this be done to the detriment of the employee? I believe there's a way to bring satisfaction to both parties. Please what's your take on this?

Kingsley

Valued Contributor
I very well understand the stand point where you are bring the topic and the point you are trying to raise aswel. Well in my own perspective it is not right to always apply that rule to the detriment of your staffs or employees and even to ones own detriment. There should always be a more better way of apply the concept as it appears that everyone has their own rights aswel. The customers have their rights likewise the seller's aswel. But I agree some people or sellers actually blow their right away out of caution and they do things that are even detrimental to their health. They make the error of worshipping the customers. In as much as we are trying to gain the attention of the customers and win their patronage we out to also knowmthat there should be limits to this things and not end up shooting ourselves on the foot.

There are other better ways of winning the patronage of our customers other than going out of our way to infringe some sought of injury to our employees. We can employ a very diplomatic way of dealing with our customers and other friendly ways but we should know where to draw the lines, it is a free world.

Kendy

Verified member
The main aim of a business in a pragmatic world is to maximize sales and gain profits. Customers satisfaction ought to be paramount because without these customers, the business will dwindle or remain static. The adage that, " customers is always right," has proven to be right and also has its downside. The adage has given some customers the nerves to act in ways beyond their limits. In everything, there is a limit to what someone can condone be it in business line. There is no business owner that would want to be excessively be in loggerheads with a particular customer just to satisfy or fulfil the adage. Few days, a scenario happened in my aunt's shop. Prior to the time, a lady bought shoes from her shop and after she had tried it on and they bargained the price, the shoe was sold and she paid my aunt. After a space of fourteen days, she returned the shoe on the basis that she did not like it anymore and she has not worn it. Well, my aunt was distraught because she has already calculated the money as part of sales but she got the shoe and refunded the money only to see some days later that this lady had used the shoe for her birthday photoshoot and came back to return it still on the basis of "customers are always right."

TOZZIBLINKZ

VIP Contributor
The adage customer is always right has been one of the most widely spread adage in business . Mere thinking about it your answer will be no the customer indeed is not always right . The world is filled with imperfect humans with imperfect actions and way of the behaviour so we can positively say that customers are always right . But still most business owners still apply this adage in their businesses today belittling the good works of their employees , staffs and workers etc . Their aim for doing this is to make their customers , client and consumers , comfortable and satisfied .

Their reasons are not bad at all , but I still think doing what is right in the right time usually pays better when it come to satisfying a customer . By this I mean , when a customer , client or consumer does or says something that it is wrong toward a particular employee the employer or manager shouldn't look for ways to justify their customers or clients actions . Rather he should caution the customer or client letting him know the repercussions and detrimental result of his or her actions politely , in this way the peaceful coexistence of the business environment will be maintained .

moonchild

VIP Contributor
Yeah, as a business owner customer is your boss, he is the one that will tell you what to do and to ensure consistent profits you have to adhere to what he says and suggests.

You should take note of what customers are saying about your business because they are the ones paying you and using either your product or service, I understand that some customers are the nagging type but we should also take note if a complain persists we should take considerable action.

This a good culture I notice in successful companies, every suggestion from there customers really matters to them and they make sure they acknowledge it, but reverse is the case for most of the businesses we have around here, most of them all they care about is how much they make, a customers opinion doesn't amount to anything to them, it is a very bad approach to business.

If you look at playstore for example most of the apps have review section and users voice out their opinions and the management takes note,

Whatever a customers suggest should not be argued even if you think they are wrong, show them you are with them, this will build your customer base and earn you a great deal of referral.