Hiring a skilled but undergraduate employee

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
When I was promoted to the supervisory level in a commercial bank as a junior systems programmer that’s when I learned that my boss is not a college graduate which is against the policy of the bank. But my boss was the only one who knew his job so he was hired and he has been with the bank 5 years ahead of me.

Banks here, particularly commercial banks, hire only applicants with a college diploma. For the undergraduates they can be hired in the maintenance department as messenger or janitor. But I had seen the exception in my case. The HR officer said that there is really an unwritten rule in hiring thus an undergraduate can be a bank officer too.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Well, I believe in employing enabling hands to work than a novice with the right certificates. Some people are after have the qualification on paper than having the knowledge or skill. I know it is always about graduates with certificate but the rule is bent sometimes. If an undergraduate knows his onions, why not he should be employed.

Abigael

Valued Contributor
That is so great that people can be hired there without necessarily having the graduate certificates. As long as one proves to have the skills needed in the company, then I don't see any reason of denying them the job. In fact, most graduates these days may have the papers but lack the necessary skills.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
Here in my country you can get hired with National Diploma or high school certificate. But those who strive to get higher in the rank as a banker, need tertiary education certificate. ( BSC or B.A) to secure higher hierarchy in the banking institution you work for. The only downside with bank is that, you won't have time for yourself to do other stuffs offline and the salary isn't much too.

Sherman198

VIP Contributor
I think you must be very lucky to have been employed even with your lower certificate. In my country here, even if you are so good at what you do or you have skills that are well sought after, that companies needs. I think if you still don't have the requirements (Degree or Hnd) certificates you can't get the job.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
It doesn't matter about the certificate in some field, the skills is what some working organization needs. If you have the knowledge, ideas to deliver the job you're still instrumental too. Anyone with just theoretical knowledge, mere ideas, without the skills to deliver the required tasks doesn't get hired in some companies that is based on skill preference than ordinary knowledge.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
Most companies especially in the advanced countries value the skill more than the certificate. I really support this because many people even bough their ways to have that certificates they cannot even defend. There is no way you can compare someone with a wide skill on an aspect together with someone that only have theoretical knowledge of it.

Lens1000

VIP Contributor
Certificate is used as the yardstick before you can be employed in the banking system. There are some young sharp with no certificates but they can do exploit if given a chance. I have seen people do really well in technology without having certificate. I have seen young sharp developing computer game without having a certificate