Have You Ever Had A Conflict With Your Business Partner?

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
Running a business could be tough. However, running a partnership-based venture could be tougher. This is because you need to have a really good connection with your partner and in many cases, you must tolerate your partner. This is why many people avoid partnership-based businesses. I am not saying that such kind of businesses are always bad. In fact, such kind of businesses could be profitable if the businesses involves a huge capital and if you have really good relations with your partner. However, things might not go as many people want them to go and conflicts in businesses do occur.

In fact, even many big business organizations get into conflict despite having written, legal documents signed, so it is natural for small businesses to have such kind of issues. Conflicts between partners could happen due to various reasons. Some of the main reasons include a lack of interest of one partner or issues related to money. Even many personal issues could lead to conflict in many cases. In the end partners get separated or seek the help of law to get disputes settled between them. So, have you ever been in such kind of situation with your business partner? How did you deal with it?

D

Deleted member 28127

Conflicts in anything could happen every day so there must be a visible strategy to handle them especially if there are conflicts between partners they should pass to vote or casting for decisions and decisions that receive most of the votes from employees are applied.

Jasz

VIP Contributor
Have you ever had a conflict with your business partner? Chances are the conflict was due to one person caring more than the other. The one motivated partner is most likely the one perceived to be 'the boss.' Understanding that this conflict can occur, being prepared for it and knowing how to handle it successfully when it occurs will help your business to grow, prosper and last long term.

Conflicts in a business enterprise can be serious problems. They can destroy relationships and even endanger the existence of the company itself. The cost of conflict varies greatly, depending on the severity of the conflict, the interests involved, and many other factors.

If you are starting a business or currently own a business, you may be wondering how to know if your partner is up to the task of sharing the responsibility. Are they willing to take on a large workload? Do they get along with your employees? Do they want a stake in the company?

When you’re looking to start up a business or even add an addition to your current business, it is important that you work with the right partners. You want to be sure to have someone you can count on to share and give back when it’s needed. Are they willing to invest their time and money into the business? Can they agree to the terms of the business contract? Do they get along with employees?

Mellorando

Banned
What might result to cases like this could be a lack of interest in activities that profit the business by one of the partners. Starting a business with one or more partners can be an excellent way to combine resources and draw on the different strengths that each partner brings to the venture. As with any relationship that involves human beings, however, you must be prepared for the potential of conflict with a business partner. It may be inevitable, but that doesn’t mean it needs to ruin the business relationship or the relationship the partners had before they went into business together. Below are three tips for how to avoid this type of conflict and what you can do if it does come up.
Each person in the business partnership should have a good sense of his or her skills, strengths, and weaknesses. This information, along with the past work experience of each business partner, should determine the role each person plays in the new business. Assigning roles from the start can help the partners avoid wondering who is doing what later and experiencing conflict because of it.
It’s not realistic that each business partner will split duties equally. Assigning roles and responsibilities such as accounting, payroll, marketing, and hiring employees, ensures the completion of all tasks without overlap and without anyone dropping the ball. Don’t be afraid to visit the topic of division of duties again if conflict arises due to uncertainty.

Here are four tactics that will help you handle conflicts with your business partner:

1. Plan Ahead When Possible, and Stop Fights Before They Start

If there are topics you know will likely prompt a disagreement down the road, see if you can cut them off before they start. For example, one of the most common fights among partners is that one partner feels she’s doing an unfair amount of the work. If you’re heading into a new expansion phase, or holiday season, or any other unusually busy time, lay out specific responsibilities in advance, so there can be no questions about the division of labor.

2. Don’t Rush to Judgment

For the owners and operators of a small business, every decision can seem large, and often deeply personal. When your partner disagrees with you on an issue that’s important to you, it can be very easy to shut down and shift into battle mode. But finding the patience to stop, take a breath, and consider your partner’s position will be a huge determinant in whether the argument gets resolved quickly and painlessly, or not. Remember the bigger picture: you entered into this partnership because you both shared a vision for the business, and you each brought strengths to the table. If you value your partner as a whole, you must value her viewpoint on this issue, even if you don’t agree with it.

3. Have an “Active Listening” Session

This is a common dispute-resolution tactic in which each person agrees to sit and listen to the other’s position and opinion, without speaking or reacting, for a set period of time — usually around 3 to 5 minutes. It’s a remarkably useful tool for cooling tempers and giving each side new insight into the other’s position. In a business partnership, it matters less who wins than how each partner feels once the conflict is resolved — if one side feels marginalized and resentful, that result can poison the partnership, and the business, over time. Practicing active listening and other exercises like it can ease any ongoing tensions and make each side feel heard.

4. Don’t be afraid to ask for outside help.

Sometimes, a neutral third party is what’s needed in order to resolve a dispute. The entire field of mediation exists for this reason. Mediators are trained to handle disputes of all kinds, and using one could lead to a cleaner dispute, a faster resolution, and an outcome that is more favorable to both parties. If the outcome is a compromise, a mediator can ensure that each side is giving up a fair amount, and that no one leaves the negotiating table feeling ripped off.

Kingsley

Valued Contributor
In today's business world there seem to be alot of stress going by the challenges the world is going through and this is really playing a major role in people's psychological. People tends to become temperamental and over react over trivial issues at the work place or even at home. I have had reasons to have conflict with my business partner and even work partner. The truth that i have come to realise is that without having some sought of conflict we will not have a better understanding of ourselves and we will not make a more better progress in our business relations.

I know some might be of the perception that conflicts should be avioded at all times but which is true when it is avoidable, but when it is not avoidable it is better to manage it and look for the best ways of bringing a very good and lasting reconciliation.

I could still remember a scenario of a conflict that arised between my partner and I we were trying to make a decision as to what we should do to bring improvement in our department so I made a suggestion and my business partner was against the idea but we eventually reached a positive agreement.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
I saw the conflict between partners when I was working in a software house. A Japanese is the president and a Filipino is the vice president. The 2 are partners in the business. However, I saw the different styles of their management. The Japanese is very strict while the Filipino is amiable to the employees. A clash was expected and it happened within a year of existence of the company. The Filipino gave up and had wanted to close the company so the Japanese gave in to the demand of the Filipino. It was like a see-saw between them because both are antagonistic but they both know that they need each other. But after 2 years the company was dissolved because of the rift between the partners. I guess it is really not good to have a business partner who is a foreigner because of the culture barrier.

Abee111

My answer is no... But there are something that arise with conflict in a business
Just like any other relationship, a business relationship too has its fair share of ups and downs. No matter how strong your relationship is with your business partner, disputes are bound to arise sooner or later. When business partners are disputing, their quarrels tend to disrupt the daily goings on of their organization. If they are not careful about keeping their disputes between themselves, it can result in the failure of their organization. Conflicts between partners aren't restricted to businesses that aren't doing well; partners of even the most successful businesses tend to bicker every now and then.
Here are the most common reasons for partnership
Financial dispute
One of the top causes of partnership disagreements is disputes about financial rights and obligations. This dispute generally arises when the company is undergoing financial stress. If there is no clarity in the partnership agreement about how liabilities will be handled and profits will be shared, serious management-level problems are bound to occur. Misusing assets for personal use is yet another cause for financial disputes between partners. Sometimes, one partner thinks it's fine to use the company car to run personal errands, but the other does nof
Authority dispute
Sometimes, despite having fool-proof partnership agreements, partners don't respect each other's areas of expertise and tend to overstep their boundaries. When this happens, some things end up not getting done by anybody, and some other things don't get done because there are too many partners sticking their nose into the same thing and offering different perspectives. The best solution to this is to establish a set chain-of-command and different areas of authority.
Income dispute
Several partners are unable to decide how to use their income to better their business. While one partner prefers investing the money in marketing, the other partner could be more intent on introducing a new product into the market. If partners are not careful, disagreements on small things can quickly turn into big problems.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
Conflict is some thing that one can not afford ; it will surely happen at any time but one just need to know how to handle that because it may affect the relationship between the customer and the owner of the business.

Though there are some customers that use to proof stubborn at time. They will did some thing bad and still expecting you to beg them or accepted them just like that by saying that ' the customers are always right' . And this notion a times may not work whenever the business owner see that the customer will ruin their business if care is not taking.