Have You Ever Changed Your Career Goals In Life?

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
The term "career" actually means the aims and objectives a person wants to achieve in his or her life. A career is basically pursuing a knowledge in any particular field and gaining the required experience in a specific kind of field. You could become a doctor and develop a career in the medical field. You could become a businessman and pursue a career in the field of commerce. There are various kinds of careers you could opt to choose. How ever, there are certainly many mistakes people make when it comes to selecting the right kind of career and they later change their career in their life.

For example, a person might want to become a doctor. he or she might study biology, but suddenly such a person might change his or her field and start pursuing a career in business and start studying business finance and management! I think this is not an unusual thing because there are many students who change their career in life. What could be some causes that might lead a person to change his career? I think a difficulty in pursuing education is also one of the main reasons why a person might prefer to change career. What do you think?

sincerem

VIP Contributor
Left for us to decide what we wanted in life, it could've been a clean sweep of achievements via a career that is very much income generating and a more successful one. In the reality scene, it isn't straight forward as we thought about it. Life at times dwindle, what we build for fails us at times, but ability to be steadfast and working hard puts us on the right lane achieving something tangible in the career we choose. I've changed my career directions severally, due to the fact, it eluded me at the time I am chasing for it. It doesn't mean, I give up in life, I keep on chasing another which is still a promising one in order to achieve something spectacular in future.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
My career started with computers. That was the days of the mainframe when IBM was the lord of technology. Being a computer programmer was very challenging that I got to enjoy the job when things got clearer on my mind. From then on I was with computers even when the downsizing started I was the first in our office to learn and use the micro computer (that was called PC later on). Maybe the shift in career was when I tried writing. I attended writing workshop and was invited to be a member of a writing guild for the movies. It was fun and I terribly enjoyed it. Being away from computers for a year gave me a respite from technology work and I savored it to the fullest.

But in 2004 there was this call for help to handle the new website of a big non-profit organization in the movie industry. Oh well, I was back to the technology work. But this time the job was quite easy because as technical consultant it is not difficult to monitor the users of the computers. Another exciting challenge was the workshop that I initiated for the adult computer literacy program. Think that the participants were actors, film directors and other workers in the movie industry. That was the history of my career.

moonchild

VIP Contributor
Yes, as a young guy I had lofty dreams of becoming a Writer, I wrote some short stories and I published one, I got a lot of accolades from loved ones, but currently I'm a software developer and there's nothing I like like coding at the moment, the thought of building things from just putting codes together excites the living out of me.

I started already and I'm very happy for myself, I'm getting better everyday by training and constant practice, it's a choice that I'm always happy for.

So yeah, that's how I made the career change, the ideal thing is for people to understand themselves and what they truly want, this will guide them in choosing the kind of career that suit them and their personality.

Everybody has a freewill and a choice of whatever makes them happy and fulfilled.

moonchild

VIP Contributor
Yes, as a young guy I had lofty dreams of becoming a Writer, I wrote some short stories and I published one, I got a lot of accolades from loved ones, but currently I'm a software developer and there's nothing I like like coding at the moment, the thought of building things from just putting codes together excites the living out of me.

I started already and I'm very happy for myself, I'm getting better everyday by training and constant practice, it's a choice that I'm always happy for.

So yeah, that's how I made the career change, the ideal thing is for people to understand themselves and what they truly want, this will guide them in choosing the kind of career that suit them and their personality.

Everybody has a freewill and a choice of whatever makes them happy and fulfilled.

Kingsley

Valued Contributor
Of course i have had reasons to change my mind on my career goals in life as, this happened to me a result of financial constraints and economic challenges that we are been faced with. I have always wanted to school and work abroad all my life. I have never for once appreciated the type of educational systems we have high in my country because many of the syllabus in the schools here are outdated and standards here has been seriously compromised. I strived hard to get this dream to come true after the completion of my secondary school education and all my effort went into futility. But in the long run I had to do undergo my tertiary education here in my country. Which is still regret, because of the standard of And still hope to leave here someday.

The made me to follow another career path different from what i had really wanted to do. But I know I will bring my original dreams to reality soonest. This had maid me to change my original course which I believe I will soon be going back too soon, this so also the case for somany out there.

Abigael

Valued Contributor
Changing careers is not an unusual thing for sure. It happens to many people all the time. It should not be something that disturbs your whenever you feel like you are not comfortable and want to switch careers. You just need to find out what you are passionate about and work at building a career in it.

For most people, they discover earlier while joining campus that they don't want to study that course. So they immediately change courses and pursue what they like. The cause of this is mostly because most parents want to influence their children to do courses they like rather than what the child likes.

Unfortunately for some people, they don't stand up to their parents and so they tolerate courses they don't like throughout campus and find it so hard to build a career on it later on. That makes them go through so many challenges and never enjoying working, some get to switch jobs several times.

The moment you notice that you don't like the career that you chose to pursue, don't waste time on finding ways to change it. You can ask a career couch to guide you on choosing a career that best suits you. Or you can do it alone by finding out your passion and choosing your career in that path.