Getting Rid of Bad Habits Before They Become an Addiction

selena1

Verified member
We have a habit of doing unhelpful or unhealthy things to ourselves. The momentary pleasure or relief is out-weighed by the destructive element of the activity. However, like the proverbial vampire, once we invite it in the repetitive cycle takes hold and drains the joy from life.

• Feeling alone we eat whole bars of chocolate, cake or tubs ice cream.
• Our very attractive, sporty partner cheats on us and we replace them with a similar model.
• Finances bordering on disaster we part take in some retail therapy to cheer ourselves up.

Yes, certain food releases feel good chemicals in the brain; we find comfort in the familiar; and yes we should treat ourselves occasionally to things that are not necessities. However, if you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got. Is it time you made some changes?

Ask yourself are there unhelpful habits or patterns of behaviour in your life? Is there a pattern to those unsuccessful relationships you have experienced? What emotion triggers the food or drink over-indulgence? If your purchase is not needed or a special treat, what gap are you attempting to fill?

Manasha1

I absolutely agree with you that we frequently participate in unhealthy or unhelpful habits that may offer momentary respite or pleasure but may ultimately have unfavorable effects. To break the cycle, it's critical to notice these tendencies and make adjustments.

Making adjustments begins with recognizing the triggers that result in these behaviors. Understanding what feelings or circumstances cause these behaviors, whether it be boredom, tension, or loneliness, might help us create better coping methods.

It might be difficult to swap out these unhealthy habits with better ones, but it's crucial to give yourself the time you need to form new routines that advance general heath. Finding new pastimes or pursuits to occupy our time, asking for help from close friends and family, or getting professional's suggestion may help us.

esopezo21

I will try this 21 rule to break some of my addictions. I will be realistic and won't say that I will quit smoking but with I can try with my sleep schedule or by being more active. Do yo think the rule works?