Employee's past history, do it really matters ?

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
Employers are always advised to be vigilant when they are employing people into their business organisation because the type of people they are employing into their business will determine the success of a business . obviously if an employers is employing the wrong people into their business organisation there may be high possibility of business failure since these people may not really be interested in the affairs of our business.

Because of this a lot of employers always put so many things into consideration when they are employing people into their business organisation, sometimes most employers might prefer to employ people within the family circle because they believe that these sets of people could possibly help in growth and development of their businesses.

Some employers at the same time when employing unknown people into their business organisation might likely research on their past work history because they believe that if they are able to understand the past history of their employees that probably they could understand their true and genuine character..

Well generally I consider this to be a wise decision but at the same time the past history of an employees may not really matter as what they may have to offer..

The question is , if YOU are the employers in a business organisation , would you consider the past history of your employees ?

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
In my experience as part of the panel that handled the applicants for vacant positions I can say that we don't really give much emphasis on the history of the applicant. We are just focused on the work experience because we are hiring him for his experience. However, the character and personality of the person can be considered vital in terms of honesty and integrity not to forget loyalty. That is the reason there is always the question to an applicant why he is leaving his employer.

Personally I am turned off when the applicant's work experience are short bursts like quitting after a year and then quitting again after 2 years or so. That kind of employee has no stable objective in his career. I always prefer someone with loyalty and perseverance that can really help the company especially during the hard times. For a quitter his focus is only on himself.

HayKay

I definitely would because of the simple fact that most employees always mask their information and sometimes the reason for their exit from their previous organizations can be due to reasons that are as a result of their personal faults or efforts.
We have employees that are usually dismissed for dishonest practices and absorbing such people into your own organization might spell doom and you don't want such virus in your staff roster. There'll always be possibilities of others being corrupted.

Kendy

Verified member
Well, to be candid the past history of a potential employee matters a lot although this might not be a yardstick to be judgemental. However, past history of an employee is not really given priority in my setting which in the short or long run of realization has caused more damage. For example, in the teaching sector, there are some individuals who are sound and intelligent but are not fit to be called teachers due to their mental or clinical imbalance which is being overlooked at the recruitment and selection process and these set of people take that influence to the classroom and behave in ways that are not permitted even up to the point of abusing children and students both physically and sexually. Also, past records helps too because there are some people that no matter the salary and fringe benefits received, they are kleptomania in nature and this has become a chronic habit. Prior knowledge of such information would guide you in the recruitment and section process which would be to the advantage of the organization. There are also some set of people who are uncultured and behave arrogantly although they have the needed skills to carry out their duties but such brutal arrogance can make your organization sink.