Does making plenty money guarantee happiness?

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
Our goal in life is to seek happiness in all situations and this is the major priority of lots of individuals who really care about their wellbeing and are interested in living a life that would enable them live freely and happily with other people in the same or different society with them.

But the problem is that we tend to focus so much on money as though It is an automatic ticket to living a happy lifestyle, and then some people even go as far as involving in shady and illegal deals just for the sake of making money to reach this supposed level of happiness..

Reverse then becomes the case in situations where we get to see some rich and well to do individuals who commit suicide even though they have gotten t a level where so many people think would guarantee happiness. That is why I wan us to share here if making money is the best way to get a good level of happiness.

It is not easy as this is a very controversial topic, and those who have not made enough money yet would argue with you that money is a guarantee for happiness, whereas those who have the money do say otherwise.

What do you think?

What I have discovered over the years of studying rich people and also studying poor people is that people who are poor have the mindset that when you are rich, then your problem is solved. The truth is that money is very good in life and every human being needs money to solve their problems but it is probably not everything a human need in order to survive on Earth. There is a saying that "money answereth many things" and of course that is true because with money you can buy almost everything you need in life but money is not all that is needed by a human being. there is something I saw recently about a daughter of a billionaire who is feeling depressed and I begin to ask myself "someone who probably have access to almost everything such as expensive cars and expensive houses and of course is in one of the best schools in the world what could probably make her to be depressed?". There are people that have a lot of money but they do not have peace of mind and some of them may be caused by the family members or the kind of Friends they keep. I have also observed that people who suffered in life and later made it are usually happier than those born into wealth.

I am sure that many people wonder if making money can make people happy or not. Well, I must say that making money does make people happy because it simply makes you achieve your goals including gaining the financial freedom. However, does money always mean being more happy? Well, I do not think that this might always be the case. There are many rich countries where people make a lots of money. However, the happiness ratio in those countries are much lower than many developing countries! Happiness is a kind of emotion. You become happy when you achieve a goal or when you find something that provides you pleasure or comfort.

Money cannot buy that feeling. However, you may buy things using money that could provide you that feeling! For example, you might become happy when you drive a luxurious car. You may desire to own such kind of car because it brings happiness to you. So, if you have money, you can buy that car that makes you happy. So yes, money can bring happiness in your life, but it all depends in what sense you interpret the word "Happiness". Each and every person have a different definition of that word.

Our goal in life is to seek happiness in all situations and this is the major priority of lots of individuals who really care about their wellbeing and are interested in living a life that would enable them live freely and happily with other people in the same or different society with them.

But the problem is that we tend to focus so much on money as though It is an automatic ticket to living a happy lifestyle, and then some people even go as far as involving in shady and illegal deals just for the sake of making money to reach this supposed level of happiness..

Reverse then becomes the case in situations where we get to see some rich and well to do individuals who commit suicide even though they have gotten t a level where so many people think would guarantee happiness. That is why I wan us to share here if making money is the best way to get a good level of happiness.

It is not easy as this is a very controversial topic, and those who have not made enough money yet would argue with you that money is a guarantee for happiness, whereas those who have the money do say otherwise.

What do you think?
Hi. The topic of your thread is very interesting. In my opinion, money is very important in life because you cannot survive without any money. It is impossible to cover your daily needs or make plans for the future without having any money. However, money does not bring happiness. There are things in life like health, love and peace that are more important than money. Thank you for your nice thread.

We we are often advised that in everything we do in life we should seek the best out of every moment . So whether we are with making money , hanging out with friends , attending a church program etc . We should always find happiness in every moment . This advice is so true because life is very short and can not be Spend I'm doing things that are not joyful or up building.

Acquiring of wealth can make us happy to some extent but it should be understand that making money or acquiring wealth should not be the major priority or source of our happiness , reason is because human beings are prone to death so we should seek happiness in things that are still important to us even in death , one thing that still matter to us whether we are dead or alive is having a good relationship with God . Right from when most of us were little , we may have been taught about God and why we should get to know him , one reason why we should get to know God is that he is the source of divine and true happiness .

Large majority of us don't understand what life really entails. this is common to most of us who are living in developing country like Nigeria. Widespread abject poverty has reset the normal way of thinking in large majority of us.

This is the reason why we glorify money than human life in the country. Before I could digress on the main point. Money is not the automatic ticket to happiness.

It is true that money does not mean everything but it touches everything. In other words, money is important in our life but it is not above everything.

If you have all the money in this world and you lack sound health, you will be ready to spend all your money just to regain back your health. Large majority of the people in the country don't have access to three basic needs of life.

Another thing is that the government is not helping the matter as they keep making policies that you make the life hard for the common man on the street. This makes everyone to think about money as a way out of the poverty and to reach the maximum happiness.

A person may have a lot of money but will lack happiness if they don't have happy home. Our mindset has been deplated to the extent that we see necessity as luxury in this part of the world.

Last edited:
Money doesn't guarantee happiness and it will is a foolhardy for someone to be making money his or her happiness. We should all realize that money is a number and number is infinity, meaning no one can get the required money that can make him or her happy.

There are some people that are rich and they still want to trade their money for other things like health, family and many other things. Though this may be controversial as many people believe that money answereth everything.

Personally, money is not everything to me but I won't be quick to believe that until I make my own money. Despite the fact that I wish and I am working to make enough money that can still make me comfortable, I will never make money my happiness. I will rather base my happiness on contentment.

This is really controversial as you said. However, money and happiness are two different things. Although they can be interconnected, they are totally different things.
I have seen poor folks that lived happy life and I have seen rich people that lived a happy life too.

On the flip side, I have seen both the rich and poor live as though happiness does not exist.

The truth is, happiness is a state of mind.
It does not largely depends on the external circumstances, it so much depends on your state of mind.

One can loose money and still be Happy and one can make incredible profits and still be sad.
It largely depends on our state of minds

We all believe that money is one of the major thing that makes life easier, and most of the things we do is to Make money
But still having money does not guarantee happiness, nowadays you will see rich people that can afford all that life offers but still they lack peace of mind, also its common and possible to see come across people that don't have money but still living a peaceful and happy life, i think been happy and having the money is the best idea though money is one of the major thing most of us want.

This topic is very interesting yet very controversial. There are challenges that comes to everyone at different points of our life and in some cases, these challenges cannot be controlled or curbed even with the availability of money. Money guarantees happiness to me and this is because, without the availability of money, I would not be able to solve the necessary challenges. There is usually a saying that, "there is an advantage and disadvantage to everything,' but till today, I have not been able to get concise demerits of poverty. Money and our passion guarantees happiness, and in any way you may want to look at it, it means that little or nothing can be achieved without money. For instance, an individual losses her leg due to a fatal injury, definitely even if the individual is wealthy, at that point, the individual would be depressed about loosing a leg but at the same time, the availability of money which can get a golden legs which can improvise for the lost leg would only be attainable with the use of money. For an individual who does not have the finances for a golden leg, he would be unhappy because the leg is lost and also due to insufficient funds to get a replacement. All in all, for me, money guarantees my happiness because I would be able to achieve my goals and expand my passion.

There is this thought that most poor people do, that when they see you rich, is like u have everything in life.
Yes our goal is to be happy at all the time with the money you make. But the truth is that when you make the money like bastard money, there are something you will restrict your self from doing
You Wi no longer have time for your families, and even for your self. Talk more of your kids that needs you more when they are still young. The way you associate with people will change, and definitely that will make people to start talking behind you.
Some people will just like to associate with people in their class and will not even think of the lower class people. In fact, they will not like to come closer where they are.
Also you will not be free with any body in your area or community because you are afraid of something bad to happen to you. So also army robbers might also be after you too. That's why majority of the people who have money always work along with their securities any where they will go to avoid bad things happening.

Even if you have a money making factory that can make a huge amount of money in a day, but that's all a lot of money will not guarantee your happiness. Although money is needed in our lives, but the more money people often become greedy. So the most important thing to achieve happiness is that your income can be sufficient to buy your basic needs, and you should be grateful and be able to enjoy the money you get.

Well I don't really know how you will understand it . but making money online or offline is not really a full guarantee that you will be happy , Happiness does not comes because you are able to make a reasonable amount of money. Most people's happiness is always the fact that they are in good health and they are also able to have everything they desired in life . And not only money. it could be in terms of having a God fearing wife and others.

If you are able to make money obviously the money will just make you to be happy because you can easily have access to whatever you need in life , the money can buy so many things but there's a limitation because there are some things that money cannot buy . And as such you may not be able to depend on money as your source of happiness . A situation in which there is no happiness in life everyone just have to try as much as possible to create happiness on their own ways to make the best out of it.

The world is just so small that if we allow so many things to trouble us it's could affect us emotional and psychological

Hi. The topic of your thread is very interesting. In my opinion, money is very important in life because you cannot survive without any money. It is impossible to cover your daily needs or make plans for the future without having any money. However, money does not bring happiness. There are things in life like health, love and peace that are more important than money. Thank you for your nice thread.
I appreciate your positive comment seriously.
The fact is that so many people grow up with the belief that money brings happiness and this is why some of them go one to do crazy things just to make as money as they think possible so as to get this level of happiness that they imagined possible, but often times the reverse is what usually happens.
They realize after getting this money, that it is not what they thought it actually is. This can get them into more frustration because money does not satisfy at all and continuously trying to get more of it would even frustrate one more than not having money.

No one is saying that money is not important in life, but there are things that ought to be taught to so many people in order for them to have the appropriate orientation before focusing all their attention on money only.

If people do not get the right orientation, they would end up messing up their lives even after making what may be considered real money, but then the happiness is not there.

That is the major point I always try to drive at whenever ideas like this one are being discussed so people don't think it is about money alone.

Money doesn't guarantee happiness likewise poverty, like a poster said above, money and happiness are too things exclusively existing differently.

Happiness is abstract, Money is physical.

You can only feel happy, you can't touch it, happiness is a state of mind and being happy doesn't require much.

For example, I get happy on weekends because they're work free days.

But that is it, that's where it stops, as a human being, experience teaches us happiness from birth, we learn about things that makes us happy and things that don't.

Our level of happiness will depend on the frequency of doing those things.

If traveling makes me happy, traveling more will make me very happy.

Now, how can I make I travel more?

This is where money comes in, they are just value vouchers, you use them to get happiness in multitudes.

With enough money I can adopt traveling as a full time hobby, I will feel very happy and fulfilled.

This is the relationship between happiness and money, you use money to get happiness in multitudes.

So, the argument should never be about money bringing happiness.

It deals with the individual.

-Define what makes you happy.
-Use money to get that.

Wealth does not guarantee happiness and neither does poverty guarantee happiness as well. People are faced with different challenges in their daily lives. There are wealthy people who have chronic health issues and this makes them unhappy despite their wealth, the health challenges can only be managed but cannot be permanently cured. Also for a poor man who has no money yet faced with health challenge, in his case, he would be more unhappy that he does not have money to solve his health condition and would also be unhappy concerning the sickness. So to me, the poor man would be more worried because even the money to manage his sickness is unavailable. Making money is not a key to happiness but money can solve a lot of problems and at least you can manage any situation with the help of money but it is worst when you have problems or crisis yet you do not have any sustainable means. Nobody hopes to be in a situation where he would be wealthy yet unhappy but life happens and challenges set in. There are footballers who have lost their careers due to complicated fracture and despite their billions, they still find themselves unhappy because the situation has ended their passion and career but at least, the complications can be managed. In life, nobody truly has it all!

@moonchild This is a very good analysis that you have made, and I so much agree with you because, even as we considered that the money one has those gnarly currency happiness, it is also important to completely factor in the fact that poverty also does not bring happiness. We should know just say that the money one is having not enough for their being able to be happy in this life.

That would be a very big fallacy because we have so many frustrated poor people out there who are wishing to have some money to carter out for their basic needs they have sustain themselves in this life.

Like you said, it is very important for individuals to factor out what is it they're really after in life and then walk towards it, because it is what you have passion for that can guarantee you happiness in life since no one else can give you that sense of happiness and joy.

Another way of being contented in this life is to make sure that you are not competing with anybody and then moving at your own pace so that you do not end up having a heart attack, and ruin your own life.

Though money is important and one can't really live life without it, but it does not guarantee happiness. There are so many factors that guarantee happiness, in most cases money might not even be part of it. I have seen cases where people are rich but are still depressed, lonely or even sad, there are some who do not have children, but have money. There are others who do not have does to spend they money they have spent years in trying to acquire.

Money is for protection somehow, it helps you to pay bills and have a quality life. But happiness is how you feel inside, and it is not bought with money or anything. Happiness comes from recognizing who you are, what are you doing, and where you're going. It comes when you are at peace with yourself and with others. Happiness comes when you sleep well at night and be able to wake up with joy and satisfaction.