Does career determine where your work.?

Syldan

No
Your job does not define you. Your experience and the decisions you make do. You're building a career, one job, one experience and one accomplishment at a time.

springtech

In my country, your career doesn't determine the job you will end up doing. The government has made schooling as an avenue for getting knowledge on how to read and write and not for making money. It is not a gain saying to see someone who studied chemistry in banks in my country.
In as much as I try to oppose this ideas, my inner mind is telling me that is right. A graduate must know how to blend in all areas and make sure he performs excellently through adaptation to the new role he may find himself or herself.
Whats your thought on this. Do you think career should determine where you will work or a graduate should work well in any place he finds himself.?
In ideal cases there should be a relationship between your chosen career path and where you work. For instance if i am trained as a lawyer, i should naturally work in an environment where i can easily put the knowledge of my career to work, say the legal unit/department of a company, a law firm, the court etc I don't have any business being a teller in a bank because the pay is better than what i can get pursuing my career. But what we have mostly especially in Nigeria where i come from is:
1.Cases of no job opportunity in my chosen field, so i settle for anything i see.
2. Considering the salary i will get in an environment outside my career against working in my field, people tend to settle for what pays more.
This has always been the trend.
But in reality, who would settle for less? Who doesn't want to enjoy fat salaries offered outside your carreer. Survival they say is key.

springtech

In my country, your career doesn't determine the job you will end up doing. The government has made schooling as an avenue for getting knowledge on how to read and write and not for making money. It is not a gain saying to see someone who studied chemistry in banks in my country.
In as much as I try to oppose this ideas, my inner mind is telling me that is right. A graduate must know how to blend in all areas and make sure he performs excellently through adaptation to the new role he may find himself or herself.
Whats your thought on this. Do you think career should determine where you will work or a graduate should work well in any place he finds himself.?
In ideal cases there should be a relationship between your chosen career path and where you work. For instance if i am trained as a lawyer, i should naturally work in an environment where i can easily put the knowledge of my career to work, say the legal unit/department of a company, a law firm, the court etc I don't have any business being a teller in a bank because the pay is better than what i can get pursuing my career. But what we have mostly especially in Nigeria where i come from is:
1.Cases of no job opportunity in my chosen field, so i settle for anything i see.
2. Considering the salary i will get in an environment outside my career against working in my field, people tend to settle for what pays more.
This has always been the trend.
But in reality, who would settle for less? Who doesn't want to enjoy fat salaries offered outside your carreer. Survival they say is key.

Doradorwa

Opportunity seeker
A career is what you choose to study at the higher college but it does not guarantee that you will be able to practice it... Fela kuti is a doctor by profession but he chosed the path of music... Some are lawyers and they prefer to be an actress or even be an interior designer so what matters is your passion.

Khezo

A career is simply what you went to school to study. There is actually no guarantee you are going to make use of the certificate later in the future. Have seen lawyers and some other professionals go into acting and the music industry so it doesn't really mean going to school to study a chosen career, will at the end be what you would do in your later years

D

Deleted member 30343

In my country carrier does no longer matters, what matters now is connection and how far you know political leaders with higher esteem

Your career Should be like a path for you and that includes where you should work. But if you are type that went to school to just get the certificate, then it probably wouldn't matter to you.
But if actually had passion for what you studied, then you would like to follow your career path.

Though the country seems to make it difficult for people.

eojo2401

If you think career determined where you work, you got it one hundred percent wrong. Come to my country, you will see a medical doctor working in a bank. You will even be surprised to see a train agricultural extension officer working as security guard or someone that studied Islamic education as Chief Justice. Unemployment has changed the mind set or vision of everybody in my dear nation. Those in position of authority are not even helping the matter. There was a time when a senior advocate was appointed by the government to head the ministry of power and housing. Putting square peg in a round hole.

Janiya

in some of the countries it is important for them to determine and investigate that where you worked before so career some countries take entrust to define that there you work before actually determine that where you are working like most of the developed countries avoid to hire those people who has a bad and what background and bad education he has earned but in most of the countries like underdeveloped countries they are trying their best to hire those people who can work everywhere like they do not consider the area the job the facilities the opportunity is there director higher the person who can be available at any time and he can give their services to everyone in any area so can you determine your will power your activities that how you are working and where you can work this some things are really powerful activities for those who have the ability to work and give services at great.

btaliat

VIP Contributor

Adetayo100

Your career path doesn't determine where you work or how much you earn, for some it is all about passion. Most people are just after the money to pay bills and lead a moderate life. But money isn't really everything you have to be happy about what you do and make money from it even if it is not that much. So money really determines where you work in this present economy.

Succjay

I think in more developed countries, career determines where one works. In the country I come from, what we do here is survival of the fittest as long as you have a connection that can earn you something doing whether you are good at it or not.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
If you mean by career is the college diploma that didn't dictate my job snd my wife's as well. My course is commercial science and I ended up in the IT field. My wife graduated in industrial engineering and she is working in a bank also in the IT department. Maybe it is partly due to the job vacancy.

Lekhraj19

Verified member
Yes, career determines mostly the place or environment where we are going to work at. But, the same company belonging to the a particular field may vary from other company's working sometimes related to the same field, but mostly it remains same. Career should be chosen as what you feel happy and feel satisfying with.

IamDozzy

Career is an absolute determinant of where you would work. If you area nurse, it expected that you would work in a hospital or you are a pilot then you would work in the aviation industry. So your career would determine where you would work. Having a career based on coolness of your place of work is not advisable because your career should be based on what makes you happy and gives you fulfillment.

Olajidey

I don't understand this post as far as I know a career is a job that earns you a living. so either you study engineering and you find yourself working as banker. that means being a banker is your career. Unless you are trying to say why is it that most graduates did not work in their field after they graduate.

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
Now are days Carrier didn't matter again for you to be working a certain place .
Some time aebody that study Agriculture science graduate are now working in a bank. And and some body who study Microbiology as a graduate and now working as a cashier in the bank .one can see the extent at which Carrier does not determine the type of job you could do now.

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
Career does not determine where you work. This is the case in my country, too. I have seen many people working in places that were not at all related to their professional or their career chioces. This is the case in the middle east, too. However, I am not sure about western countries, as I have never visited them!