When the career you chose does not pay

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
I had an uncle who graduated with a course in dentistry. He rented a place for his clinic as his profession. But as time goes by the dental clinic is getting to be a liability because patients are not coming. Unlike a business that you can promote a profession is not regarded that way. You just have to strive in order to get patients. Since he was getting married soon he shifted to another line. Fortunately he was hired as a salesman of an appliance store. Later on he was hired to promote air conditioning system. When I was in high school my uncle was already rich with his new career in marketing that I was not aware of his college degree. We were even surprised that he was in fact a dentist with a license.

That is a neat lesson for the young ones. Do not be dejected when your career does not pay and that you failed to reach the expectation especially with the income generation. Think of another line where you can shift your focus. You can be an employee and work from there or maybe you can just start up a small business depending on your skills and financial capability.

Kingsley

Valued Contributor
This is very serious issue, in my country we hardly make decisions on what career path we would love to do. Decision like that are always made by our parents and when we eventually come of age we get to realise that the path that was chooses for us is not what we truly love and hence it becomes a very serious struggle for us. Some any are forced to go back to school after they must have struggled for years without achieving anything tangible in life. It is indeed painful when you realise that you have wasted your time to study a wrong course leading to a wrong career. Some people even become unfortunate and they are unable to make amends, because they have past some certain age where their degree will become irrelevant because they have past the age.

This problem sometimes does not come from the parents alone but from it also comes from the higher institution of learning as well. Because sometimes they raise the cut off too high for people to meet up and study their dream course in the university , thus; leading to a wrong career. Sometimes the fault lies with the student themselves.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
Most time, it is not by our degree but what we can do. There are most time that we are tricked by our emotion. We do find it difficult to make the right decision why choosing career and this causes failed in such a career..

We need to check ourselves and detemine what else we can do to make money apart from our degree. We should always remember that degree are just there to certified that we are truly literate and not really a yardstick to be successful.

When our career is not working and we are in love with such a career, we can still push more but if the career is chosen just because of the money involved, the best thing is to make sure to change the line of career.

E

eldavis

I don't know about other countries but here in my country, most persons are not even making a living through there career choice but rather form other means. I have a friend who studied political science but he has not even found a job yet, he regretted studying political science for a long time until he decided to learn graphic designing, right now he is earning pretty well form it and he has been able to create his own brand.

LoukiaCharilaou

Valued Contributor
I had an uncle who graduated with a course in dentistry. He rented a place for his clinic as his profession. But as time goes by the dental clinic is getting to be a liability because patients are not coming. Unlike a business that you can promote a profession is not regarded that way. You just have to strive in order to get patients. Since he was getting married soon he shifted to another line. Fortunately he was hired as a salesman of an appliance store. Later on he was hired to promote air conditioning system. When I was in high school my uncle was already rich with his new career in marketing that I was not aware of his college degree. We were even surprised that he was in fact a dentist with a license.

That is a neat lesson for the young ones. Do not be dejected when your career does not pay and that you failed to reach the expectation especially with the income generation. Think of another line where you can shift your focus. You can be an employee and work from there or maybe you can just start up a small business depending on your skills and financial capability.
Good evening from my region. Hope you are fine. Thank you very much for your thread. I really enjoyed reading it. Your topic is very interesting. I totally agree with you. When the career you chose does not pay, you have better do something else in order to make a living. This is not so bad. However, for some people is a bit disappointing because they do not like changing their profession. But that's life. Unfortunately, you cannot have everything in life. I think that it is better to have a job rather than be unemployed and unable to cover your needs and the needs of your family. Wish everyone has a career that pays.

Kendy

Verified member
This thread is so powerful because it is a reality that so many people across the world are currently facing. In most situations and complexities, the career we choose remains unproductive and this in turn brings out a grief of regret as to why our passion had aligned with such career. It is such a saddening reality that every year, we have troops of graduates making way out to the already competitive labour market with little or no opportunities. It has become a thing of scorn that some noble professions are no longer given the prestige it deserves. In my Country, individuals do not wholeheartedly choose education and the teaching career but at times, due to admission complexities, they are by default offered admission into the profession and just so they do not remain at home without progress, the candidates take up the admission offer to study the course which at the end of the day, they are either paid peanuts or they are owed salary with no fringe benefits consistently. The teaching profession has now become a profession of ridicule whereby even a teacher would feel ashamed and depressed of his career because of the plight that has befallen the profession.