Do You Think Religion Or Culture Have An Effect On The Choice Of Business?

Rachael

Verified member
This thread is not make to be biased in any way so please be open-minded. I actually had a business idea in mind because I relocated few weeks ago to a new environment and as it stands, I have nothing doing and my janitorial services is on the hook. Due to the economic situation, people would prefer to clean their homes or offices by themselves just so they could minimize cost and which is very understandable. This new environment I moved to, I notice that people enjoy piping, smoking of cigarettes and taking of alcohol. I tilted my thoughts towards this direction to engage in selling all of those substances but my religion sort of forbids it. I am at a crossroads, because right now my finances would not be surmountable to open another business apart from that and this is the business which would drive more sales if I am serious about it. Also, time waits for no man and I have started eating deep into the savings I had kept. I do not know if there is any other alternative for me because I know there is no food for a lazy man. A friend had advised that I venture into it, so long as I am not the one taking or consuming them. What are your thoughts, does religion or culture have an effect on your business choice?

Suba

Staff member
I think culture and religion influence each other, in general culture and religion will have an impact on a business. If you sell alcohol while it is forbidden by your religion, will you still sell it, maybe there are many other alternatives that are more neutral, such as selling clothes, opening steam motorbike or car, open a laundry service, etc.

Kendy

Verified member
I think both culture and religion are intertwined in some ways. For example, there are some religions in which rearing of pigs or swine is forbidden. Some other religion and culture alike frown at selling of hard drugs, cigarettes and tobacco but looking at it keenly, tobacco has an effective usage on its own. Well, if the available capital you have is only enough for the business you have in mind, then I do not see anything wrong with it. The most important thing is, you would be making a source of livelihood in a legal way. If the culture is not able to provide a means of living, then I do not see why it should be an obstacle. I am sure that anything or belief could be changed because, ' man made laws,' not the other way round. In setting up a business of that nature, you should be aware that you might have to face a whole lot of challenges. From having to deal with touts or refracts and considering that you might be a lady, you might be exposed to threats especially when your customers are not in their rightful mind. The only effect is how you would handle your customers or would you choose your customers?

Ajebo25

Verified member
I think both culture and religion play a part I choosing a business there are many businesses out there but only few are allowed buy some cultures and some religions I think you should just open a store and sell shoes and clothes the costumers you'll get depends on your location if you're on Lagos you'll get patronized am sure.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
In our business district it is obvious that Muslims have their own business particularly with the phone accessories, footwear and jewelry. I don’t know if those businesses are related to their religion but even in other places they are selling such products. When it comes to food the Muslims have their own dishes called Halal which means there is no trace of pork because pork is banned in their religion. For the Chinese they used to occupy the small stores in Manila but now their business are in the big buildings. In our town the Chinese are the owners of the hardware stores and warehouses. I do not have the idea on the origin but I guess a group of Chinese migrated to our town and started the hardware business. Since the Chinese are clannish when it comes to business so they practically have the same business all over our town and nearby areas.

Setho

VIP Contributor
The culture and religion that people practice is something that is deeply embedded in them . The usually see it as a way of life and egg ideas of how life is supposed to be . This religion agriculture usually have some benchmark all the way they believe that their members are supposed to be behaving . They also have some taboos and some things in which they like as well .

Whenever you want to create a business it is very important that you should evaluate everything like the location as well as the availability of raw materials and also the type of culture and religion that is practiced around there. For example they are some religion that might not allow people to eat some certain kind of fruit and as such it is going to look like an insult if you are going to be selling that fruit and that particular location .

There are also some cultures that always promote teamwork as work ethic and assault if you are promoting any service that does not include that it is very likely that you are not going to be making the amount of sales that you are going to be projecting . This is why you have to be very careful whenever you are evaluating business.

Ithedicious

Valued Contributor
To some people , it is a very important points of consideration because they believe that it is necessary for them to do things that is in line with their religious belief . In this case I do not see anything wrong with that. it is normal and should be accepted and at the same time a lot of people also prefers to do things not in line with religion , Even here I do not see anything wrong with this , For as long as your business or whatever you are doing does not hurt another person negatively .

Safety is the most important thing when determining what will be the most suitable and if anything you are doing does not cause any harmful effects to people and children , then you are free to start up your business as long as you will have maximum support of people because no business can can stand up on their own without needing people to access.

If people are to do things based on religion , a lot of people wouldn't engage in certain business. This would even make the whole world boring and a lot of people wont also like it .

Richee84

Before we start any business, it is better we carry out a good feasibility plan and part of this feasibility plan on that business include market research on the environment. The environment where the business will be located is very important to the success and growth of that business. Religion and societal believe of the people must be consider and respected while sitting our business cause it may have negative impact on it sales and profit.
There are some culture and religion who don't believe in the intake of alcohol in there society, establishing a bar or beer parlor in that kind of society will be a waste of resource cause it is very clear that the market for beer is not in that society and there is no way the owner of the beer parlor will make a profit from his business. When we look at the fashion world today there are certain kind of cloth that is marketable in the Arab countries cause of their religion and believes. So any entrepreneur that want to enter into the Arab countries must come with the ideas that will be sellable in those countries or else the law of the land might even work against his or her kind of business.

Jasz

VIP Contributor
I think religion and culture do have an effect on the choice of business. However, I think that this is only true in regards to certain businesses. For example, if you are a business owner and your religion is against having a shop in a mall then it may be difficult for you to open up a shop there. On the other hand, if your religion allows for such activity then it will likely not be an issue for you.

Another example would be if you are a business owner who has strong cultural beliefs that prohibit or encourage certain practices or actions by employees or customers; these cultural beliefs can have an effect on the choice of business. For example, if you don't believe in same-sex marriage then it could affect whether or not your company allows same-sex marriages at their facilities or events held at their facility (such as weddings).

some families as part of their culture practice farming or fishing for a living, if you are from such home, there is a high tendency you will see such business worthwhile.