Caution on the hype on livestock raising

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
Some decades ago there was a hype in a major newspaper on the breeding and raising of ostrich. A pair of ostrich for breeding was very expensive but there were many buyers in the hope of earning a good profit when the ostrich had multiplied. When the offspring were ready for butchering the ostrich raisers were surprised that there were no buyers. They resorted to cooking the meat and sell the dish in the wet market. But the price was very low so they lost in the business. What followed was the hype on raising turkey. The turkey may be popular in the US but not in the Philippines. That was another hype that fooled many investors. That was a neat lesson for the losers who invested because of the hype. The latest hype is raising rabbits for the meat. Come on, who would eat rabbit meat? The rabbit raisers have posted an article in social media of the problem. There is also a list of suggestions that raisers should be the one to eat rabbit meat. This post is a food for thought to potential livestock raisers. When it comes to a hype in raising livestock the only people who profited are the first investors. The next batch of investors are the losers.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
Thank you for sharing , Your write up really shows the importance of carrying out our own personal research before we embark on any type of business because that is the most important thing , a situation in which we just engage in something without knowing the outcome sometimes might result in serious loss more than what we could ever imagine.

I remember when we were dealing with chicken farming sometimes ago , we actually lost so much money in the business because we didn't really have enough understanding of how to carry out this business successfully. Because of that lack of professional understanding of how chicken business really work we lost so much money and even up till we gave we were not able to succeed in the business until we finally gave up.

Ever since then I have come to understand that it is not just about starting a business but how we can manage this business is what should be the most important . A situation that we know how to manage the business will indicate that we know what we are doing, but if we don't then we should try as much as possible to learn and understand.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Well from experience livestock raising isn't easy at all and this is why I think raisers should go for a sort of mentorship before embarking on venture to avoid huge loss. I have seen a bird raiser loses a lot of bird in one day due to an infection from just a bird and it hasn't been easy for people around to even think of going into any such venture again. So I understand your point. It is not just about a livestock rearing any kind of business one want to engage in should be well assess before venturing into it to avoid losses that would have been prevented from the onset.

but livestock rearing is a lucrative business if handle properly.

Shaf

Verified member
That's one reason why you should not start a business based on the hype around that niche. If you want do that, always make sure you do your research and have buyers even before starting. I have almost being a victim of this too. I lived in an area where turkey was highly valued especially during festive periods before I moved to my current location.

I know it's a tat raising livestock is a cheap way to earn money, but after surveying the market, I discovered that majority of the population here do not necessarily value turkey and they prefer chicken. The few who appreciate it's value do not have the ability to purchase it.

One should always do market research before starting a business to avoid waste of time, money and efforts.