Can one cope with a job outside of his niche?

Holicent

VIP Contributor
Yes, you can! All you need to have is an eagerness to learn and an open mind.
When you're looking for new opportunities, consider whether or not the job would be within your niche. You're in good shape if it is. But if it's not—if there are new skills or knowledge that will help you advance in your current role—then consider applying for it anyway. You never know what will happen.

Finding a solution to make it work is the key. For example , if you're a graphic designer who happens to love flowers, you can work at a florist or nursery. It would be an entirely different kind of job, but it could be exactly what you need. If you have lots of experience as a graphic designer and know your stuff, maybe it will work out fine for you. Or maybe not—but being flexible is the key to making sure that whatever happens, it works for you.

Ithedicious

Valued Contributor
Inasmuch as there may be opportunity for you to learn and still understand something that is outside your niche, but at the same time I still believe it depends on the type of business . For example if it has to deal with something you are not naturally passionate about it may still gives you a lot of difficulties in the cost of trying to get familiar with this area of business.

The most important thing that should be put into consideration is for people to check out and see if it is something they can cope with , and if is something they can do then they have to dedicate their time and learn it to the best of their ability .
But when they find out that is not something they can do then definitely you don't have any other option than to look for Elsewhere to work . .

Etini

Valued Contributor
That is the beauty of being versatile. If you are versatile, you can comfortably take a job outside your niche and deliver effectively. The guy that teaches my daughter phonics studied chemistry. He is very good at diction and is highly sought after.

In these days and times, limiting yourself to one niche is you not looking at the big picture. I studied agriculture but I a very sound in other areas. I can teach English very well, I can write, and I play instruments. It widens my horizon when it comes to opportunities to earn money. I believe can never go broke because I can be effective in any niche at all I find myself. Just a little training and I am good to go.

So it is possible for one to function in a niche that is not primarily his niche. The willingness to learn is one attitude that can make this possible.