Budget Not Working? Here Are 5 Tips For Better Budgeting!

Yusra3

VIP Contributor
I'm sure you've heard the old saying, "you can't manage what you can't measure."

And while I don't think that's true in most cases (I'd say you can manage anything you put your mind to), it is definitely true when it comes to budgeting.

If you're not measuring your budget, then how are you ever going to know if it's working? You'll just be winging it and hoping for the best and that's never a good way to be.

Here are five tips for better budgeting:

1. Track every single penny spent on your expenses. You might be surprised at how much money you spend on things that aren't related directly to your business (like eating out or buying gifts).

2. Make sure all of your expenses are accounted for not just what's coming in from sales but also what goes out as well as any salary payments made to employees who work there. This will help make sure that all of the money coming in is being used properly and that there aren't any discrepancies between what's being taken out and what's going in (for example, if someone gets paid twice during one month).

3. Make a list of your expenses and put them in categories, rather than having all your bills grouped together. This will help you see where your money is going, and also remember what each category is for.

4. Use a cash back credit card, or one that rewards you for using it! These cards offer rewards for using the card, which means that if you spend even just a little bit more than usual, then you're getting some money back in rewards! You might also get cash back on purchases made with the card that way, even if you don't use the card often enough to earn interest or rewards right away, if something costs more than usual when you do use it (like gas), then it'll be worth paying more so that you get some extra cash back!

5. Work with a financial advisor or counselor to make sure you're getting the most from your money!