Affiliate Marketing Guide

How to start Affiliate Marketing [Complete Beginner’s Guide]

I’ll be truthful with you, the kinda feeling you get making money from affiliate marketing is out of this world! Trust me, there’s nothing compared to it.

One of these feelings is waking up in the morning to several notifications of income you’ve made overnight!

This simply means you’re making money even while you sleep. Passive income isn’t it?

Oh… Yeah!

But this you must know, to truly make that passive income happen, you seriously need to put in some work. There are various steps you need to take before you can actually make your first income.

And trust me… these steps are not so passive!

However, if you’re determined to put in the effort just like I did, you’re already on your way to success. I mean, if I can do it…

What then is stopping you?

This article “How to start affiliate marketing” is for those seeking better ways to make money online.

Most especially for beginners who are with little or no knowledge about affiliate marketing and really want to make money online.

Let’s get started, shall we?

What is Affiliate Marketing?

Affiliate marketing is the process of earning a commission or making money by promoting other people’s (or company’s) products. You find a product you like, promote it to others and earn a piece of the profit for each sale that you make.

Let me break it down a little further…

There are 4 different parties involved in affiliate marketing:

The Merchant,

Network

Publisher and

The Customer.

I will explain all 4 parties in a bit, just keep reading…

However, when it comes down to the actual marketing, there are 2 sides of an affiliate equation: the product creator(Seller) and the affiliate marketer(You).

Therefore, affiliate marketing can be seen as the process of spreading product creation and product marketing across different parties, where each party receives a share of the revenue according to their contribution.

Let me break it even further!

For example, I want to sell a car so I list the car on an affiliate network hoping I’ll see affiliate marketer that will sell it for me based on the percentage agreed by me and the network.

If you, being an affiliate marketer, then choose to market the car and sell it through your link, you’ll get a commission based on the agreement I had with the network earlier.

Mind you, I can choose to create my own personal affiliate program myself, and if you register for my affiliate program and market the car directly you’ll still get your commission based on the percentage I stated on the car that you will make.

The advantage of joining affiliate networks instead of a direct affiliate program is that it’s safer than dealing directly with the creator of the products.

He or she can wake up any morning and choose to close the affiliate program.

But that doesn’t mean individual affiliate programs are not safe; only on rare occasion will such happen. I personally have affiliate programs that I do promote directly.

Now let’s look at all the parts of a successful affiliate marketing system. (What makes Affiliate Programs complete)

#1: The Merchant: (seller)

Sometimes also known as the creator, the brand, or the vendor. This is the party that creates the product. Anyone could be the merchant behind an affiliate marketing program.

They don’t even have to be actively involved. They just have to have a product to sell then make it available to affiliate networks so that affiliate marketers can sign up and promote the products.

#2: The Affiliate: (You)

This party is sometimes also known as the publisher. Affiliates can also range from single individuals to entire companies.

This is where the marketing happens. An affiliate promotes one or multiple affiliate products and tries to attract and convince potential customers about the value of the product so that they can end up buying it.

#3: The Consumer: (Buyer)

The customer or consumer makes the affiliate system go ’round. Without sales, there won’t be any commission and revenue to share.

The affiliate will try to market to the consumer on whatever channel they see fit, whether it be a social network, digital billboards or through a search engine using content marketing on a blog.

#4: The Network: (Escrow)

Only some consider the network part of the affiliate marketing equation. But, I believe that an affiliate marketing guide needs to include networks, because, in many cases, a network works as an intermediary between the affiliate and the merchant.

Sometimes, affiliates have to go through an affiliate network to be able to promote the product for security reasons. Or if the merchant (Seller) only listed their product on a particular affiliate network.

The affiliate network also serves as a warehouse for lots of affiliate programs, out of which the affiliate marketer can choose which products to promote.

(To be continued).