Can We Classify Church Buildings As Part Of Real Estate?

Sikapa

Verified member
I'm asking this question because I'm confused and curious about how some people are using church as business. According to the definition of real estate, it says real estate is a property consisting of land and a building. If this is so, then I have seen many church buildings owned by one person or an individuals who are making a lot of money out of them.

I'm just asking can we classify church as part of business or what? There are some people who are making numerous of money out of church and some of these people are using it as a business. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying all the people who are building churches but some of them are using Church as business while some are also genuine. According to normal statistics in my country, they say it is getting to a point that if you count ten houses there will be a church. There are also some business men who are not pastors nor men of God but they build churches and hire pastors as form of business while some also build churches and use them to rent.

Considering all these things, can we say church buildings are also part of real estate?

Holicent

VIP Contributor
Church buildings are typically thought of as religious structures, and therefore not part of the commercial real estate category. However, there is an argument to be made that since these buildings are treated like real estate in many ways, they should be classified similarly.

A primary example is the ownership of church buildings. In most cases, a church's building is owned by either the church itself or a separate legal entity created for the purposes of owning and managing the property. This is similar to how other types of commercial real estate are treated by their owners: investors and companies will often create separate entities to manage different properties, including shopping malls and office buildings.

Another example is that church buildings often have much more in common with other forms of commercial real estate than they do with private homes. Many churches have highly complex designs that incorporate multiple levels, large gathering spaces, and even attached shops or offices. They can also be highly expensive to build, requiring specialized materials and equipment that are more commonly found on construction sites than on residential ones.

Given the similarities between church buildings and other of commercial real estate, it seems likely that many churches would benefit from being classified in the same way.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
I believe @Holicent satisfied your question. Church buildings are holy place place of worship, provided it is constructed with building materials no doubt, it is a real estate structure. All buildings are classified as real estate structures, because it is associated with housing, and built under piece of land. We have commercial real estate building and residential real estate building, and the church is considered to me a residential place of worship. Even some members do pass the night at the church premises as for those who came from far distance to share a moment of worship with another church branch. Or simply for the homeless, they can come to the church and they're just welcome for them being part of the church. That's the more reason while you'll consider church as a residential real estate building, because it is for people to come from any location form part of worship and spend the night there when the journey is far to reach their various homes, and also for those who lost their home due to crisis and for those who doesn't have a home to call theirs, can simply stay in the church.