Why are truckers not making a good living in Nigeria?

Kingsley

Valued Contributor
Truck driving requires alot of skills and technical know how about trucks in general. Trucking in Nigeria seem a very difficult and dirty work to do here as most of our truck looks old and rickety. And many of the times they end up developing a mechanical fault that can keep the truck driver on the road for days if not weeks.

There are somany factors that is responsive for these challenges which include bad roads, lack of routine maintenance on the part of the owner's of such trucks and sometimes lack of discipline and negligence on the part of the truck driver.

Then the worse part of the whole drama is that the truck drivers are not well paid as compared to their effort in keeping the truck up and running for business. When we compared the rate at which truck drivers are been paid in advanced country to that of Nigeria we will realise it is not to write home about for truckers back home.

What do You think can be done to help the situation of truckers in Nigeria?

Icon

Well to my own opinion I think truck driving is paying enough to their drivers but what I noticed is that they don't normally have time for their self they are always looking dirty and frustrated but I think they still pay enough any truck company that does not pay enough, then it's the problem from the company

E

eldavis

The truth is that most truck drivers today are not educated hence their employers use them and take advantage of them, most of them are actually paid little things that is not enough upon all the risk they pass through. Majority of the truck drivers we see today are not professionals in this filed, they just do it to make little cash.