What Should You Do When You Have Two Bosses At Workplace?

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
Many people work in workplaces where a boss is present. Having a boss is something that all people have to face. No matter he is a manager, supervisor, or any other person who is in-charge of the business, he or she might be your senior. However, there are many work places where there might be more than one bosses at workplace. I know that having more than one bosses could cause conflict ion the workplaces, but I think that many workplaces have more than one supervisors so that they could manage a business in a much more proper way. This is why many companies hire multiple people for higher positions.

However, since conflict is a common thing when two seniors are at the job, how should an employee work in such conditions? This is because working in such conditions could be hard. Whenever any disagreement arises between two seniors, many lower-level employees suffer. Apart from that when you have two bosses, you could be pressurized even more because when you have two in-charge above you, you always seem to get double pressure because of having two bosses. So, how would you deal with such situation? How to survive under such kind of working conditions?

Jasz

VIP Contributor
This topic is just a reality. Have worked in a particular firm where the boss was my friend so he helped me work and get paid, everything was going well until we had another supervisor, I guess I should call him a boss too. This new boss is related to the real owner of the firm. I decided to use my head, I gave maximum and equal respect to both, but it seemed the first, my friend didn't like that and the second didn't even trust us. My friend told me not to act like the other guy was boss or superior, that he had no guts, I don't even have to report to him or run errands for him, that I answer only to him.

This got me into trouble at the long run. Crazy things were happening, there was no peace either. The fact is before I left I noticed he suppressed my friend, I was disappointed and felt I should have been more closer to him but then I didn't want my friend to see me as an ungrateful being because he got me the job.. With this I concluded having more than a boss in your work place is somehow, you need to be logical or you step on someone toes.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
It is very rare for an organization to have 2 bosses of equal authority. Usually there is the boss and the big boss. In my experience when I was a bank officer my immediate boss is the assistant vice president who is under the vice present. However, I am very close to the VP for we had worked together before. The AVP was kind of intimidated that he was very soft on me. When there is a conflict of command it is always the higher in position that prevails. What I saw in that situation is that the 2 bosses should always be in direct communications with each other so a conflict can be avoided.

In other cases when the business partners are co-equal then I guess that would be a big problem for the employee when there is conflict of command or instruction. I don't know if I could endure that setup.