What is the major problem that usually arises with your business partners?

Abee111

Most a times, problems do rise between partners in a business due to some issues which both the parties have not agreed on. What are those problem ?

Hagson1

I have been in business for a very long time and based on my previous experience, the problem I use to have with my business partners is in terms of collecting goods on credit. Some of them will collect goods on credit and won't return it on time, while some will not even return it. And when next they come if you refuse to give them it will be a problem.

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
To me the most things that can cause problem between partners is Sharing of profit, sharing of power etc.
Let Me talk about this:
Sharing of Profit: Some times this can really cause problem in the sense that they might have not have a concrete agreement on the method or formula that they will be using to share their profit and this can lead to fight or even to division between both the party.

Sharing of Power: At times they the party may like to be dominated in the sense that one may like to be more recognized than the other one and this will lead to fight between the party.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
My brother had started a business with his business partner who was his close friend. When the business was struggling I saw their cooperation and coordination that their business was trying to get off the ground. After a few months they were importing special steel from Japan which gave them a bigger profit. They were able to buy 2 cars - one for each of them (my brother and his business partner) aside from the pickup truck for their business operation. After a year they bought 2 vans, of course, one for each of the 2 partners. I asked my brother why buy 2 vehicles when his partner is not using the car nor the van. I didn't understand about their partnership. All the while I thought my brother was the boss because he was the president. And it came to pass that there was an argument that led to the dissolution of the company. The main reason is the power sharing which was not appropriate for a greedy business partner.

Chibson

VIP Contributor
there are a lot of things that causes problems to arise in businesses and sometimes if these problems are not resolved properly it can results to a whole lot of problems on the long run. Most of the time these problems kill the business and the business partners will split. There are a lot of things which must be put in place before going fully into business partnership with someone and the inability of these to be properly put in place the business will definitely not last.
Some of things that causes problems in business partnership;
Greed: this is one of the major things that causes problems between business partners. When one business partner is greedy and always want to take larger percentage of their profit and then there is a possibility that problem will arise. This is one of the reasons it is very important to make a letter of agreement before venturing into business partnership with anyone.
Financial contribution: When there is need to make contribution for the continuous running of the business and why business partner does not meet the financial needs, then there is a possibility and that problems will occur.
There are also a lot of other factors that causes problems between business partners and some of them may include allocating positions to family members, lack of proper agreement before starting up the business, etc.

D

Deleted member 28127

Every business partner has his own plan of ideas or manner of thinking then they must pass to vote between employees on their ideas of projects which idea to be practiced if they do not end by a medium solution.

funmi

Verified member
To be honest their use to be a lot of issues between myself and my business partner in the sense that she doesn't understand my body language. I have tried several times to explain to her and make her see reasons with me why we need to make some certain decision but she would rather do things the odd ways. In fact the misunderstanding got to a point that it became more physical as we would practically argue over a lot of issue that could have been avoided only if she had stayed cool claim and collected.
I could remember a time when I called her and tried talking to her ri adjust the ways she was handling issues between us be she pretended to he understood what I had discussed with her, only for her to still continue in her previous behavior. It was that terrible I was so glad the day she voluntarily said she wants to opt out and travel to.another state. For me it was peace at last I felt a sense of freedom and ever since I had been so glad. Now I have a new partner and she is doing very great as business is moving well.

Stena

Back in school, I ventured into a cyber cafe business with a colleague, it was more like a printing press, and since it was in a school environment, we had a lot of customers. She rented the space and got a printer, i got few laptops and focused on just typing and printing. Even when our clients came to me as the perceived boss, I always made sure to refer to her as the boss, she did not want a share in my profits because we really grew to understand ourselves. I think that was my best partnership experience ever.

People enter into partnership for different reasons, which could be lack of money to establish a sole business, desire to share resources, desire to learn from a more skilled person, etc. Challenges are bound to occur in partnership because of individual differences, it is difficult to find one who would completely agree with you on something. Possible reasons for drifts in partnership include misunderstanding, greed and desire to dominate.

Misunderstanding is a common problem, like I stated, it should be expected of another to completely understand and accept your views, we are different people from different backgrounds and have different mindsets.
Greed is another problem faced in partnership, when one partner becomes discontent with the share of profits or is not comfortable with the share of resources, problem sets in.
The desire to dominate tends to be in every human. So when one partners feels it is he or she who is supposed to be the one to call the shots, that's a problem.

Yhubee

The major problems in business partnership can be due to sharing of power and the sharing of profit.Normally, business partners are supposed to come together with an agreement on how the profit is to be shared and on how the power is to be shared amongst them.This agreement is very important to be made initially to avoid problems in the future,but most times the partners fail to reach an agreement and then the problems set in .They do not agree on the sharing of power neither do they agree on how best the profit is to be shared or sometimes they can agree but later on due to greed or due to selfishness and other factors that can affect human beings from different backgrounds and with different mindset, problems usually set in and agreement on how the power was supposed to be shared and how the profit was supposed to be shared is not taken seriously thereby leading to different problems.
It all boils down to understanding. Most times it's not easy to find business partners or to find human beings that can be very understanding and very ready to abide by the rules and agreement that have been made so this is the main problem that occurs in business partnership .