What is drug addiction?

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
Many commonly prescribed drugs if taken regularly and for long periods may lead yo drug dependence or addiction.

The list will include sedatives,tranquillisers, weight reducers,so that great care must be taken when prescribing such helpful medicaments that the patients is not allowed to take them indefinitely unless under medical supervision and forvgood purpose.

When a patient becomes addicted to drug he feels an overwhelming need to continue to take the drug and will make any excuse to get further supplies. He becomes physically and psychologically dependent on it, so that ifvthe drug is not available he will suffer symptoms of withdrawal.

Often the dose of the drug has steadily to be increase to make life bearable,and this leads to changes detrimental to physical and mental health.
Doctors, dentists and nurses are liable to become addicted when they take drugs because vsuch drugs are easily accessible to them, but the risk is only serious where the personality is unstable or neurotic.

Unfortunately, the problembof addiction has increased alarmingly in recent years,not as a result of medical treatment but as a result of obtaining drugs from illicit sources for self -indulgent purposes.Alcohol and tobacco are two habit-forming drugs widely used and socially acceptable, though carrying serious hazards to health. Many other drugs are being taken illegally, often by young people and with tragic results.Example are

(1) Morpine,heroin and cocaine.These are known as narcotics or hard drugs and form the core of the addiction problem.

(2) Cannabis indical,also knownbas hashish ,is obtained from the flowering top of Indian hemp plant which grows wild in many countries. It is usually smoked in cigarette firm the so-called reefer,and its sale is illegal.

I also belive that not only drugs can some one be addictive to alone it might even be water,food or anything else.
But my question is ; What is drug addition? Your experience and idea can help some one.

Drug addiction is psychological disorder that's characterized with excessive craving for a particular drug even when it is not needed. However, there is need to point that you cannot abuse food and water as you claimed. Water doesn't have any negative effects when you take it too much. Addiction is a disorder. So craving for food or water is not a disorder.

For me it about taking drugs even when it is not needed. This is mostly constant with drug abusers. They over dose their system with some drugs that at long run will be detrimental to their health. Some people live on hard drugs for whatever reasons but I know it doesn't make sense and as such people should desist from ir

Drug addiction and abuse is a topic that I have learnt in almost level I have gotten in education. Drug abuse is the use of drugs without a prescription by a medical experts. a lot of people use different types of drugs on daily basis without the consent of someone who is a professional medical personnel. This kind of behavior is very dangerous to one's health and it is not advisable to abuse drugs.

Drug addiction is a psychological dependence of a person on a particular drug or a group of drugs for the sake of simple kick or pleasure. Here the person craves for the drugs and can't spend anytime normally without the drugs. If the person doesn't get the drugs then he may show the neurological symptoms that require medical attention.

I am just surprised also understand that about from smoking there are different other ways people can abuse drugs such as breathing, injection, rubbing on the skin... Apart from hard drugs also there are different ways people can abused drugs which is by not listening to the advice of the doctor or by taking an overdose drugs.

Drug addiction is a situation whereby a person is addicted to a certain drug.he/she can not do without the drug.