What Does Working In A Factory Feel Like?

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
There are many people who work in many different places. Some people work in offices and some people work in many shopping areas, as those people usually work as a salesman. However, there are certainly many folks who tend to work at factories. Factories are basically a place where things get manufactured and they are located in industrial areas. Most of the people who work in factories are technicians and they have a really good experience when it comes to running machines and handling equipment. Despite the fact that there are many machines that have reduced the amount of human labors required to manufacture products, there are still many factories that require human workers.

For example, when I read newspaper, I find many jobs being posted in newspaper that require workers for factories. In my country, most of the people who work in factory are very skillful people. Working in factory is totally different from working at other places. This is because working in factory could be risky. I have never worked in a factory and I will never ever work there in the future either. So, have you ever worked in a factory? What was your experience? For how long did you work there? Please share your memories and experiences. Thanks!

Jasz

VIP Contributor
I had friends who worked in so many factories. Some of the factories produced nails, drinks, ice cream, bag , shoes, zinc etc. They made claim how high they pay them but never failed to mention the risks they faced. From being struck by nails, some injured by forklift some, being disfigured by cutting machines. So many accidents they talked about. This really scared me that I said to myself , no matter the pay I can't. Oftentimes young guys go there to make fast money , some left after making some money while some kept on.

Caramelle

I haven't experienced working in a factory as a factory worker but I had been employed by manufacturing companies with factories. The last manufacturing company I worked for was a crayon manufacturing company. While I worked in the office, I occasionally had to visit the factory for various reasons. There were big boilers in one section and machines that take care of collecting and molding the melted wax. It was hot all over.

The workers weren't really highly skilled. They were employed by a general contractor which supplied the manpower to the factory. They were receiving the minimum wage mandated for that city but they had ample opportunities for overtime work which considerably augmented their take-home pay. If these people can find someplace else to go or work for, they probably would leave the company. It wasn't a great environment with all the heat and dust. However, many of them have chosen to stay, unmindful of their temporary status. The sad reality is they need the money and they lack the qualifications and skills to apply for other factory jobs in the technological park where they would have enjoyed standard benefits and better working conditions. The company only hires regular employees for their supervisory and managerial positions.​

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
I had 2 months experience of working in the factory. It is a big semi conductor company that is directly related to electronics. There were about 50 of us working on long tables to test the semi conductor part. It is a boring job that we do 8 hours in a day (or night) with 30 minutes for lunch break. If you know me from my posting in other forums you may remember that I am in the IT industry as a programmer and other positions like systems analyst. When I was in the US and I moved to my cousins area in San Jose, California, I was forced to work in the factory just to have lunch money, so to speak. That was my last job before I went back to my home country (Philippines). Now I understand the boring job of factory workers that I don't think I would ever work in that job again.