Things to consider before setting the price of a product

Holicent

VIP Contributor
Pricing is a critical aspect of the business products you offer. It's important to set prices that will help your company reach its goals, and it's important to make sure those prices are fair for everyone involved. The relationship between price and value is a complicated one—the price you charge for your product or service should reflect the amount of value you bring to your customers. If you're charging too much, then people may feel as though they aren't getting enough value from your product or service, which could lead them to seek out another brand or provider. On the other hand, if you're charging too little, then you won't be able to attract customers who would benefit prom what you have to offer.

So how do you decide on an appropriate price? There are several factors that will help determine this:

-How much time does it take to create a product? This could be time spent developing it (e.g., writing code), creating it (e.g., manufacturing), shipping it (e.g., shipping), or testing it (e.g., testing), the cost of material used as well.

Jasz

VIP Contributor
When you're selling a product, the price you charge is just one of the factors that can affect customer satisfaction. The relationship between business products and price has been studied extensively in economics, and it's something most people know intuitively: if you raise the price of something, customers will buy less of it. But why? What does this mean for your business?

We all know that customers will spend less money on things they don't actually use—that's how people operate. When prices go up, they decrease their consumption of those items. The idea is that if you want to get more people to consume your product or service, then you'll need to convince them that it's worth paying more for.

However, if they're already consuming your product or service at a certain price point, then raising its price will only reduce consumption and not increase demand. This is because when customers are already consuming an item at a certain price point for example, $5 then there's no reason for them to pay more money for another unit (unless there is some other benefit).

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
I sell print-on-demand products. I don't have to spend money creating products, but when the product is sold, the print-on-demand marketplace charges money for manufacturing and shipping the product. Before I list the product for sale, the marketplace tells me how much cost I will incur on the product, I will add $2-$5 profit margin when listing the product. If I want I can even set 100 percent profit margin but I will also have to see my competitors' price, I will always have to keep my selling price just below my competitors' price. I also dell digital products. When pricing my product, I consider how much the similar products are selling for and how long I spent on building the product. These days I don't dropship, but when I was doing dropshipping, I used to add $2-$3 per product as my profit margin, by doing so I keep the chances of generating sales alive.

When it comes to setting the price of a product, there are a few things you need to take into consideration. First, you need to know the cost of production. This includes the cost of materials, labor, and shipping. Once you have your cost of production, you can then add your desired profit margin.

Next, you need to consider the competition. What are similar products selling for? You need to be competitive, but you also don't want to undercut yourself.

Finally, you need to think about what the customer is willing to pay. This is where market research comes in handy. You need to find out what people are willing to pay for your product.

Pricing a product can be tricky, but if you consider all of these factors, you should be able to come up with a fair and competitive price.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
Setting a price for my product will be determined by so many things , most especially the location and also the cost of production because this determines the best price to be sets per a product. In some location with an increase in raw materials for production will have a slight increase in the price of a product than a location in which the raw materials are not expensive.

Another thing I will put into consideration will be the percentage I am interested to get at the end of the production. Most business organisation will choose to get 25% of the production price as their profit . In a location with high competition , business owners will always reduce their percentage to 10 or 15 percent of the production price depending on the level of competition .

It is also very important for us to research and understand the price other companies are keeping for the same products.

Last edited:

uforwealth

Verified member
Many thanks to you for writing and posting this useful information here.
Apart from the value of the products , Purchasing power of the consumers should also be put into consideration. no matter how valuable the products or service is, consumers will not be able to pay for such products or services,if their purchasing power is very low.