The saga of the kidney stones vs laser treatment

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
My wife's former office assistant reached out to me for advice. She has kidney stones as big as 1.4 cm (that size is posing danger to the kidney). The doctor prescribed the laser treatment instead of the shock wave (lithotripsy). Since it is not my call so I just asked why laser when shock wave was already proven by my wife to be effective since my wife had undergone lithotripsy in 1995 and in 2001. It is an out-patient treatment. But the laser proceeded. On the night after the procedure, the woman messaged me. She was disgusted because the stone was not removed so the laser treatment would be repeated. Oh, she paid a huge sum for that failed procedure.

I am posting this topic for the benefit of those who have kidney stones. The laser treatment can fail so be very careful if your doctor would prescribe that procedure. The shock wave is much better than the laser. Making it worse, the woman now has stent that will stay with her body for more than a month. I feel sorry for the woman but I cannot do anything except tell her to get a second opinion. Don't let that doctor do the laser procedure on you again.