The difficulty of selling an inherited property by the siblings

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
Our former neighbor inherited the house of their parents when both died. There were 7 siblings who are the heirs of the estate. Three of the siblings live elsewhere and 4 are living in the inherited house. The 3 siblings who are living elsewhere wanted to sell the property so the proceeds can be divided to them. However, the eldest sibling who lives in the inherited house refused to sign the deed of sale. And then 2 other siblings sided with the eldest so there were 3 who wanted to sell, 3 who do not want to sell and 1 neutral. They consulted a lawyer who said that the issue should be settled among them. It is a domestic argument and it is not proper for the court to intervene. What the lawyer meant was for the siblings to file a court case there would be expenses to be incurred which is not really necessary. What happened next was 2 of the siblings who were living elsewhere died and then the eldest who is living in the inherited home died. The rest of the siblings did not care anymore and until now the house is still there being occupied by 2 youngest siblings.

Carpon

Valued Contributor
This is very prevalent case in my areas and it happened and is still happening to me.
My grandfather died leaving behind a land and a house. He has two sons my dad being the younger. So with time his elder brother died and then his children, my cousins came to claim their inheritance. It was an issue that was settled internally and I narrated this to show you my personal experience with this thread you've posted.
I personally think that the inheritance a father wants to pass to his children should be shared as early as possible even before he's deceased and should be in form of a will given to a family lawyer. Many lives at times are lost due to this know of issue and cases and I think a step towards reducing that is making sure any father is able to write a will even without the knowledge of his children and keep it safe with a lawyer early so as to avoid such disprencies

niche

Verified member
In some cases, the person owning the property does not have children, and it is inherited by a relative. In some cases, there are legal disputes, so the person inheriting cannot sell it or even give it on rent. Older properties are often purchased at a low price, if the owner sells it and wishes to purchase a new property, the areas of the new property will usually be much smaller. So many people owning older properties do not want to sell it because they will find it difficult to purchase another spacious house.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
Well I don't really know , it depends on culture and tradition of people across Every Continent around the world. Over here in most African countries I think inherited property most especially in the village are not supposed to be sold to outsiders. It is like your own heritage and that is your origin and should be allowed always remains there. So selling it to people because of one reasons or the other might eventually leads to disagreement which is not always the best option

If I'm a buyer and I've come to understand that the property was an inherited property most especially in the village I wouldn't even want to involve myself because I know it is risky and even at some point there may likely be a problem because there will be so many people who wouldn't agree to the selling of that property.

There's so many things we need to consider when thinking or engaging in real estate or buying of property.