The dangers of changing staff frequently in a school.

Etini

Valued Contributor
With the advent of private schools, there is always frequent change in staff in schools. In a term, up to three teachers can teach one subject. This is because one comes and leaves within a short while like a month or so, and the other also comes and leaves within a short period too. This trend is not good for the school business.

The first danger is the disruption of a student's comprehension capacity. A student starts understanding a subject after he/ she has acclimatized to the teachers teaching patterns. This in itself takes time. Then, the teacher is changed and the cycle starts all over again.

When this happens often, parents would feel that the impact of teaching is not utilized efficiently and they start withdrawing their children. Before you know it, the school is under threat of closing down.

School owners must pay their staff well and provide good working conditions for their staff. In that way, staff won't have to leave in droves.

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
With the advent of private schools, there is always frequent change in staff in schools. In a term, up to three teachers can teach one subject. This is because one comes and leaves within a short while like a month or so, and the other also comes and leaves within a short period too. This trend is not good for the school business.

The first danger is the disruption of a student's comprehension capacity. A student starts understanding a subject after he/ she has acclimatized to the teachers teaching patterns. This in itself takes time. Then, the teacher is changed and the cycle starts all over again.

When this happens often, parents would feel that the impact of teaching is not utilized efficiently and they start withdrawing their children. Before you know it, the school is under threat of closing down.

School owners must pay their staff well and provide good working conditions for their staff. In that way, staff won't have to leave in droves.

There could be many disadvantages of changing the staff really sooner all the time.

1) Student Co-operation

I think that many students are capable of adjusting to teachers who have been teaching in the school for a really long period of time. This is a very common thing. You tend to co-operate and adjust to people in a much better way with whom you have been dealing with for a long time.

2) Effects On Learning

As you pointed out, I think that regularly changing staff could have an impact on students as different teachers may try to teach students in a different manner. However, this could also be advantageous for students as well. The new teacher might be much better than the old one in many cases!

3) Adjusting To School Environment

It seems like new teachers might have a harder time adjusting to the new environment of school and this might have some effects on how they deal with the students. This is quite true for inexperienced teachers who might be new in the field.

In the end, I do not think that changing staff is necessarily bad! It could be actually good for students in case the new staff is far much more experienced and better as compared to the previous one!

Carpon

Valued Contributor
Sure I agree with you.
I was once a student in secondary school and now am a teacher in a secondary school and indeed the effect that frequent change of staff and subject teachers is long term. And just as you have said, the time that the students may take to get used and acclimatized to a teacher's pattern may be long and at times, immediately students are adjusting to a particular person, then he or she will get changed.

This will put the students in an endless cycle of adjusting and readjusting which will eventually mean that they will end up doing nothing but adjusting and getting used to teachers.

But this is at times unavoidable with the nature of private schools where this is mostly seen. Once a person gets a better job, he can easily forfeit his teaching job and I won't blame such. May be if the standard of paying was higher, that wouldn't have happened.

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
It's a bad thing to be changing staff all the time.
If it is a company changing staff often do cause a lot of money at times. For example when company staff is not stable the cost of training the new set of staff will some how look much and will increase the Company at the end of the period.
Changing of staffs may also reduce the expertise of the staff in the sense that; the more a staff is doing one job the more expert they become.
Constant training is needed in some job in other to increase the volume of the production. So changing of staff often is not so good especially when it's comes to dealings with people.