Running a business for a domineering owner

Augusta

VIP Contributor
A lot of workers especially those working in private enterprises do not have the needed time to run their businesses. So they create one but leave it for a manager to oversee. But the issue is about the owner always wanting to interfere in everything. In fact, the manager might not even have the room to be creative or innovative with the business

The owner wants all the decisions of the business to come from him or her, the manager shouldn’t have a say or go contrary to his instructions. The truth is that there are a lot of benefits derived from letting a second person run a business in a different way.

If you are running a business for a domineering owner, how can you make the business function better away from the owner’s not too good decisions?

The fact is that all business owners have blueprint by which they want their business to be run. If there is a manager that is not running this business as the business owner want, there is tendency that there may be clash of interest. And to save one's head, you need to run the business as the owner wants and not as the manager wants.

The fact is that all business owners have blueprint by which they want their business to be run. If there is a manager that is not running this business as the business owner want, there is tendency that there may be clash of interest. And to save one's head, you need to run the business as the owner wants and not as the manager wants.
Well, some of these business owners might not have the required knowledge and by just be going by what is in their head. The manager is the physical person running the business and really knowing what the business need. Some the decisions that would be taken by the manager will help the business progress better

Most business or company owners are like that....Do think it's easy to establish a well standard company? Perhaps, you have a company that is rewarding a lot, I don't really think you would want to leave everything in the hands of a manager or a care taker. You can't just leave your firm in the hands of someone, you have to get involve always, to know how everything is going. If not, they may wreck your company for you.

Most business or company owners are like that....Do think it's easy to establish a well standard company? Perhaps, you have a company that is rewarding a lot, I don't really think you would want to leave everything in the hands of a manager or a care taker. You can't just leave your firm in the hands of someone, you have to get involve always, to know how everything is going. If not, they may wreck your company for you.
Though this is true about being fullu involved in your business, it shouldn't stop one from giving the manager a bit of free hands to run the business. Some Principals think they know it all but some bad decisions from the owner can wreck the business too. So the managers should be given room for personal impact too.

I agree with your assertion and I also shared the same philosophy with you on this issue. If I establish a business of 10,000 dollars and of course everyone know who that is a very big amount of money. And if I employ a manager who will oversee the business, then I actually have the right to monitor the growth and how the business is being run by the manager.

I agree with your assertion and I also shared the same philosophy with you on this issue. If I establish a business of 10,000 dollars and of course everyone know who that is a very big amount of money. And if I employ a manager who will oversee the business, then I actually have the right to monitor the growth and how the business is being run by the manager.
That's it my friend! We all know how people can be so greedy this days.... doing everything to feather their own nest first. Some managers will use your money start building their own companies or houses if you are not active or watchful on the business. Though, we ought to give them the chance to showcase their talents, but at the same time we have to smart as well

That's it my friend! We all know how people can be so greedy this days.... doing everything to feather their own nest first. Some managers will use your money start building their own companies or houses if you are not active or watchful on the business. Though, we ought to give them the chance to showcase their talents, but at the same time we have to smart as well
Yeah, it is definitely very important to give them the chance to showcase their talent but it is also very important for someone who invested so much amount of money to monitor the growth of his business. There have been a situation where someone in abroad gave his family relation money to build a house for him and lay person used the money to build his own house and lavished the remaining. So it is important whenever you invest money on something you money to it.

It's very important that we sit and discuss the terms of service before I take the job. I should know my role in the business and in wouldn't go beyond my duties since the business owner is the authoritative type. The best way to deal with such person is to limit yourself to your duties if you still want to retain your job

I have experienced a domineering business owner when I was hired as general manager of a software house. Making it worse the wife of the owner is more domineering that even the consumption of coffee in the office pantry is being questioned. I didn't last a year in that company because the stress is too much.

I believe that if you would want to manage a business then you should do it out of your own ideas that will match the company's goals. Before you take the business it is important that you inform the owner about your own ideas then you guys should discuss on how it is going to be important for the company.