Proper handling of customer complaints

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
This topic is tricky but common in big companies that deal in retailing and also in government offices. There is always the long line in the complaints department for a defective product and other issues. The management usually fields a frontliner with a gift of gab to handle the complaints.

In one big manufacturer of a popular audio speakers I have seen the style of their trouble-shooters. They talk as if he is a friend of the customer and sometimes he even curses their department that is responsible for the problem. When I witnessed that scene I realized that if you side with the complainant then the heat will dissipate and the conversation will be calm, sane and even friendly. It is like giving assurance to the complaining customer that you are on his side.

Putting myself in the shoes of any customer with a complaint, I wouldn’t want to be ignored by any seller so I will suggest that all business owners should be attentive to the complaints of all buyers. Treat them with respect and treat their issues with as matter of urgency

The situation you highlighted is very tricky. Though it is common in some companies but it is a bad way of handling customer grievances. Most of the time, this situation is as a result of not having many people to be handling people's complaints. When they discover that there are many people that comes with the same complaint, they indulge in cunning way.

Seriously that is a very good way of handling customers complaint in any organization. So many times I have met customer representatives who want to make me feel I am not right about my stands and this makes me to get angry the more. I think being able to do as you said is also dependent on the nature of the person who is in the customer support section.

In the age of technology, I do not see there should be any problem in handling customer complaints. You can use various tools such as telephone, whatsapp, telegram, email, live chat, chatbots to handle the complaints. If a business is unable to solve a customer's problems it will start losing customers, therefore, it should address problems as soon as possible.

Any business or company that does not take the complaint of each customer is very serious will likely not last. I was baffled to that e-payment gateway which I have an account on never replied my mail because there was an issue I was trying to resolve with my account. this is what many businesses does that make them to lose their customers and can easily be swayed by competition.

I also have a pending email since last week about the issue with the rewards system of an airline. My inquiry is how to transfer my balance or points to their new rewards card. It is frustrating to call on their phone that I had to wait for 30 minutes only to be cut that I had to dial again. With the email I thought it is convenient but I get no reply until now.