Professional Career

raaman

Valued Contributor
Any professional career is a long one. To say the truth, in a professional life, it is a road ahead for forty two years. If you start working for twenty three years, until the retirement age of sixty five, you are forty two years old to build a successful career for yourself.

During this long period of time, you can make good as well as less good decisions as you wish. The choice is yours. In professional life, speed and quality are not awarded.

You do not have to focus on being successful immediately, because that is not possible, but on building a successful career that lasts for forty two years.

The year 2020 was tumultuous for businesses of all sizes, and companies from FTSE giants to sole traders have been affected by the coronavirus pandemic.

In the spring, the Observer spoke to four bosses to ask how they were managing during the early stages of the crisis.

We revisited them to find out how the rest of the year unfolded, and to ask about the lasting impact of Covid-19.

Johan Lundgren, chief executive, easyJet
In one respect, things have improved for easyJet over the course of the pandemic: a few planes, at least, are in the sky. Back in April, its entire 337-strong fleet was grounded and Lundgren’s overriding preoccupation was liquidity: how to keep the business afloat with its enormous fixed costs, even when most staff were furloughed.

Most of the youth in our clan are taking a college course for a career. The IT courses are the most popular but there are also other courses they are taking like nursing and even veterinary medicine. I always prefer a professional career. I have a niece who is a doctor and one is a physical therapist. They earn good money aside from having the respect of the people. But I have to admit that an entrepreneur has the better chances of getting rich than one who has a professional career whose earnings are somewhat limited. If you want money then go for business.