Is professional dancing an irresponsible career?

Etini

Valued Contributor
I am from Africa. A very conservative part of Africa at that. In some parts of Africa, some professions are seen as dishonorable and irresponsible. One of such career is a professional dancing career. They see it, especially for females as promiscuity. I beg to differ though. Dancing is a talent that anyone can develop and earn from.

I know of a lot of excellent dancers who are not promiscuous. Promiscuity is not exclusive of a certain career or profession. That is why I feel that stereotyping is not necessary.

If your daughter decides to be a dancer now, I think you should encourage her to pursue her dream, rather than to scuttle it. A promiscuous person is a promiscuous person regardless of what he or she is doing. In these days and times, where anything and everything has demand, dancing as a professional is a good career. It is worth everyone's investment.

King bell

VIP Contributor
There are a lot of things to consider when choosing a career. For some people, the most important factor is whether or not the career is stable and will provide a good income. For others, the most important thing is whether or not the career is fulfilling and will make them happy. And for some people, the most important thing is whether or not the career is responsible and will have a positive impact on the world.

So, when it comes to professional dancing, where does it fall on that spectrum? Is it a stable and responsible career choice, or is it an irresponsible one?

The answer, of course, is that it depends. There are some professional dancers who are very responsible and have had successful careers. There are also some professional dancers who have been irresponsible and have had their careers cut short as a result.

So, which one are you more likely to be? That’s something only you can answer. But if you’re considering a career in professional dancing, it’s important to be aware of both the good and the bad that can come with it.

The good:

Professional dancing can be a very stable and responsible career choice. If you’re good at it and you work hard, you can have a long and successful career. There are many professional dancers who have been dancing for decades and are still going strong.

The bad:

However, there is also a downside to professional dancing. It can be a very competitive and cutthroat industry, and it’s not always easy to make a living as a dancer. There are also some dancers who are less responsible and have had their careers cut short because of it.

So, ultimately, the decision of whether or not professional dancing is a responsible career choice is up to you. If you’re willing to work hard and be responsible, then it can be a great career. But if you’re not willing to do those things, then it might not be the best choice for you.

Etini

Valued Contributor
@King bell I got your points. But don't you think rubbishing a career at first mention is short-sighted as dine by some Nigerian parents and guardians? Every career has the potential for success. So why don't they let a child have the liberty to do what he/ she intends to do? I think everyone should be given the liberty to pursue careers that would satisfy them no matter the conception of the parents or guardians. If the child doesn't end u making anything good out of it, then we can all cry wolf.

I have said that if my child grows up and suddenly wants to be a professional dancer, I would build a stage for her to start dancing at home. From there, I would send her to a top-class professional dancing school so she could have a chance of getting to the very peak of her chosen career. Let's not interfere in the career choices of our children.

Carpon

Valued Contributor
Personally, I wouldn't really say building a career around dancing is very bad and infact as you have said there is a galore of very successful dancers who can in no way be regarded as bad or undisciplined.

But looking at the circumstances of a nation like this, such kind of stuff are more perpetrated by some rascals, and I don't mean to be offensive. But nevertheless, it depends on which route you choose to take towards achieving such a dream.

In other countries, people who are into this are seen same as every body else whether morally or in whatsoever aspect and they are patronised by every one. You will see even elderly people feeling the vibe when watching such people performing.

But I promise you this won't be the case here and you may barely find a handful of elderly people who will endorse this.
Personally, I wouldn't engage in that nor allow any of my progeny as well.
I also see it as something that has the potential of taking away your moral discipline from you in this region specifically.