Priviledges that tenants do not deserve

Stena

Are you a landlord or an intending landlord? Have you extended so long a hand of generosity to your tenants and at some point regretted it?
My dad did!
And up till now, I still think there are some privileges tenants do not deserve.

Two years ago, my dad rented out a shop space just in front of our residence to seemingly nice tenants and they were to pay the same amount as most of the shop owners in our locality paid. Then my dad began to ponder upon how they were going to cope with water supply and easing themselves comfortably. He found a way to fix a water cistern in a little structure inside the compound and told the tenants that they could make use of it anytime, they could also get free access to water. The tenants were thankful, these were things no other shop owners enjoyed in our community.

The long and short of the story is that six months later, my dad offered them a quit notice. They had begun to bring in visitors into our compound just to make use of the lavatory which they sometimes left unflushed and dirty. My Dad also had to fix the tap from which they fetched water from a couple of times. Our compound was now so porous and we all felt insecure!

Some landlords our of generosity may want to offer privileges to their tenants who may eventually misuse or take it for granted. Have you encountered such?
What are some privileges you think tenants do not deserve?

Well, there are landlords who give opportunities to their tenants a x they misuse it and later blame the landowner for bring self-centered. Also, over familiarity is what breeds contempt. As a landlord, when you rent out a shop or a house to your tenant, you should respect your boundaries and not be overtly familiar or initiate a close relationship when you have not even initiated such to your close acquaintances. When someone is over familiar with you, it would breed disrespect and this is the more reason some landlords are not involved directly with the tenants, they set their clear boundaries and employ the services of a legal authority like a lawyer to tackle any challenges that might arise. There is no point being over zealous to your tenants so they will not think that you are bad or unconcerned. In fact, it is best to situate a shop or house where your tenants are not operating within your immediate residence, this is the major factor that causes challenges because a landlord would not overlook all the time the mistakes or purpose intentions a tenant make, he would try to caution the tenants not to repeat the mistake and it is his right because a landowner has to protect his property by all means but considering human nature, the tenant might get annoyed and start showcasing deviant behaviour.

As a landlord you should not be too hard on your tenants, setup rules and regulations on how your properties should be used and manage.