Upgrades your duplex offer to attract Tenants or buyers

Holicent

VIP Contributor
A duplex is a combination of two homes, each with their own entrance, but sharing a common wall. A duplex can be used as a second home or an investment property.

The most common upgrades to a duplex are air conditioning, heating and insulation. If you want to keep your tenants comfortable in the summer and warm in the winter, this is an easy upgrade that can help increase your cash flow.

It’s important to understand how these upgrades affect your other properties before making any decisions on what upgrades to make. A good duplex will also have a variety of upgrades to offer, including:

An outdoor space that is well-landscaped, with a safe and quiet neighbourhood.

A secure entryway and alarm system.

Energy efficient appliances and windows.

A big kitchen with lots of storage.

The entrance to the living room from the front door.

A laundry room in the basement or attached garage.

Your duplex should offer more than just two bedrooms. It should also have a finished basement, which can be a great addition to the main floor of your home. Some families like to add a family room downstairs, but there are other options available as well.

You may want to consider adding an extra bedroom if you have teenagers who are still living at home, or perhaps if you have elderly parents who need some extra care. If you have young kids or pets, another idea is to add a second bathroom.

If you have the space in your home, it could be nice to have some outdoor living space for summer nights, especially if you live in a cooler climate. There are also many ways that you can make your backyard more comfortable for guests who visit or come over for dinner parties. If you try this you might just make your dulplex 3 times attractive.

My late husband and my son worked together on buying investment properties. I could never understand why he would not buy a duplex instead of a single family home as a rental property. It seems so practical. It's like owning one property but you are getting two streams of rental income.