What may be the reason why the duplex is vanishing?

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
Duplex is an apartment with 2 units. The usual standard here for having a duplex is for the owner to occupy one unit and the other unit will rented to a tenant. The advantage of the duplex is that you can monitor the tenant most of the time because he is your closest neighbor. That is very good advantage on the part of the landlord.

On the other hand, the tenant would feel pressured somehow especially if the owner is strict. Think that you are monitored regularly and the owner would notice whatever issues that he would see like you having a pet or the pain on the gate was tarnished. My take on the duplex is not in fashion anymore and the apartment with 4 units or more is getting popular. The big difference is that an apartment has 4 tenants so a tenant would not feel that he is being monitored because there are 3 of them (assuming that 1 unit is occupied by the owner). A friend who plans to build a duplex said that he is thinking of building a house to rent out because that is easier to find a tenant. Most duplex housing here have a vacant unit.

I understand what you said very well. I also have experienced such case before. In fact in my own situation it was far worse than that. Ours was not a duplex as people don't rent out duplex in Nigeria and share the house. Only one family can stay in the house. The apartment I stayed with my land was a bungalow and we call it face me and face you here in Nigeria. The rooms are built opposite s each other. We share toilet and bathroom our land lord and other neighbours. It was highly uncomfortable for us as our land lord monitors all that we do in the house. If you go out, you must also inform her and so many other things she do then before we eventually left the house and move to another house where the land is not staying in the same house. We will never live in such a house again. Am sure many other people must have had similar issues and that is why this duplex rentage will not last again or maybe scraped

Duplex is an apartment with 2 units. The usual standard here for having a duplex is for the owner to occupy one unit and the other unit will rented to a tenant. The advantage of the duplex is that you can monitor the tenant most of the time because he is your closest neighbor. That is very good advantage on the part of the landlord.

On the other hand, the tenant would feel pressured somehow especially if the owner is strict. Think that you are monitored regularly and the owner would notice whatever issues that he would see like you having a pet or the pain on the gate was tarnished. My take on the duplex is not in fashion anymore and the apartment with 4 units or more is getting popular. The big difference is that an apartment has 4 tenants so a tenant would not feel that he is being monitored because there are 3 of them (assuming that 1 unit is occupied by the owner). A friend who plans to build a duplex said that he is thinking of building a house to rent out because that is easier to find a tenant. Most duplex housing here have a vacant unit.
Hi. Happy New Year. Thank you very much for your interesting post about duplex. I fully agree with everything you mention in your post.Duplex is vanishing indeed. The reason I think is that, as you say, the tenant feels a bit pressured especially if the owner of the property is strict. So tenants prefer to live in apartments with 4 units or more. They need to feel that they are free with nobody watching them.

People don't see any reason to build gigantic house anymore. Duplex has more rooms which usually turn out to be a waste. The reason is not that far fetched. Families are only concerned about their members these days and most people don't have many children that will occupy this duplex. This is the main reason why most people don't really invest more on duplex anymore.

I believe that the world is beginning to change at a very fast pace right now. Before people did not usually care about your privacy and as such it was usually people who were grown up that usually seek houses. Now a days a lot of people prefer to stay alone even when they are young and they care about their privacy very well and will not like their landlords to be chasing after them . I will advise your friend to just follow with the trend instead of trying to build something that at the end of the day he will not get tenant.