Managing a sugar cane plantation

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
In one of our vacations in the countryside, an owner of a sugar cane plantation offered me an opportunity for investment. The capital is not much for a plantation of 2 hectares but the profit is good at the end of the season because it usually exceeds the amount of capital. For more persuasion the owner detailed the procedure.

IMG_8124 sugar cane.JPGsuga
The planting materials are free because of the existing plantation. Only the laborers are to be paid on a contract of work. The rainy season will provide the growing and when the summer comes the harvesting would cost another contract with the laborers. The trucks to deliver the harvest to the refinery are also an added cost. It was a nice offer but come to think of it, I live far from the plantation and my only hold is my trust on the owner.

That is a good investment and business if you are convinced to go ahead with it. My in laws have acres of agricultural lands and they go for contract farming. They grow paddy, mustard, some lentils and a major portion is for sugarcane plantation. Sugar cane is a cash crop and they get good profit there. They sell their crops directly to sugar mills owned by government.

I know nothing about farming. I grew up in a small town, my parents had a small land where they grew vegetables and a variety of fruits. I remember my parents used to plant sugarcane in the backyard for us. During the winter, when we had a vacation, we used to chew on sugarcane. It was a fun time. I do not know about commercial farming

In our country sugarcane is widely grown in many states and most of the farmers go for contract farming..they have a contract with sugar mills in the state. A major portion of economy of these states come from these sugarcane fields. The farmers involved in these farming are well to do. It is a cash crop and so it gives them a good value.

You should do a little research before investing in sugar plantations especially the soil condition, water level, and the sugar recovery of the produce. I am from the sugar plantation area where most sugar is produced in the world and practically live in an area surrounded by sugar fields. Also, I used to work for a corporate that dealt with sugar mills as one of our main clients. So if the sugar recovery is 10%+ then you are sure going to earn a good profit and if the water level of the area is okay, the production cost will be low .

That is a really good business investment you were offerred. It is just unfortunate that you live far. It is really best if you were living near the farm as it may require constant check ups on how the work is progressing. Otherwise, it seems so profitable with less expenses.

I am someone who so much love the idea of the sugarcane plantation business. This is because it is very easy to do and will not require a lot of hard work. Sugarcane also grows within the year so you do not have to wait for long before you can have it. Sugarcane also has a lot of readily available buyers so you will always have a supply stock.