Jekyll Vs Gatsby Open Source CMS

Mika

VIP Contributor
If you want to use CMS other than Wordpress, which is not only free to use but also open source, you can try Jekyll and Gatsby. These CMS have different features and use cases.

Jekyll is simple and lightweight. It is ideal for creating static websites. Gatsby is comparatively more advanced and ideal for creating complex and multi-functional websites.

Jekyll uses Liquid templates, thus allowing users to create custom layouts and themes for their websites. Gatsby uses the React framework, ideal for dynamic websites.

Jekyll has a built-in web server, which means you can preview your website as you build it. Gatsby uses GraphQL to query and retrieve data, process is comparatively complex but allows to create of dynamic content and improves performance

Jekyll is written in Ruby, you can extend website functionality with plugins and gems to add new features. Gatsby offers comparatively more plugins as it has a large and active community. Gatsby works with a serverless architecture, thus, allowing you to deploy to a content delivery network (CDN) for improved performance.

To conclude, use Jekyll for a simple and lightweight static website such as blogs and company websites. However, if you want to create advanced websites, online stores, or multi-user websites, for example, Gatsby may be the better choice.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
I am not sure if I have visited any websites built with jekyll or gatsby, however, I have heard of these alternative content management systems for building blogs and websites. I have a lot of experience with wordpress and I know some vulnerabilities associated with wordpress and I would like to know if these platforms are better in that areas. if you want to use an easy platform like wordpress but more secured and versatile, you can try Joomla, and I would also like to know how these platforms compare with joomla. Learning about various platform gives us multiple option.