Is Teaching a good career

Carpon

Valued Contributor
In my locality, when people gather to list out careers in life a lot of times they fail to mention teaching especially at the secondary or high school level. They don't regard it as something someone could do and at the end of his life see himself as an achieved person.
So is it true that teaching is not a very good and credible career?
Well it depends on you and the kind of mindset you were given or you created for yourself.
Personally, I work as a teacher and I can attest to the fact that I feel good about it. At many times we may have our callings and preferred career choice but the mindset we have and circumstances around us also affect our choices not our convictions and talents plus the gift we have.
We go for the best paying profession not because if the driving passion but because of its prolificity and the huge amount of pay. Teaching in Nigeria is not regarded as a top ranking job due to the way teachers are not properly paid and are subjected to harsh and unfavourable conditions unlike other professions
That is why if you go to a class of students and make a statistics if every child's future ambition you may find no teacher but a lot of doctors and lawyers. Many at times people end up as teachers only when they are unable to fit into these careers they term and see as top ranking.
But indeed teaching is a very good career as far as you are aligned towards it. Never think you will feel accomplished when you seek a career you are not aligned to and at times our parents may be the main factor we pursue them.
Therefore make a critical step and think about what your field is.

Teaching is a good career, and through this career other career resulted, in my country many parents very bad when their children pursue a career of teaching, the look at it as a minor career but they fail to remember that most career they we're pursuing was made possible by a good teacher, who express love to their student.
Apart from the student biological parents teacher are seen also as the student parent who guard them from danger when they are not with their parents.
In my own opinion I prefer teachers should be given same treatment as other career or even more treatment because all career came to play through a good teacher who could lecture it accurately to their student, and another thing is teaching may not be seen as easy that is why some specific or specialized person who acquire qualification from teaching of any particular course or subject could handle them more effectively, even parents guardian could also engage in teaching not just teachers alone.

Teaching is a good career, however, if you are only doing classroom teaching, that is teaching in traditional schools and colleges, you might not earn much. You will have to think outside the box. What does thinking outside the box actually means? You need to start teaching online by joining online schools, you need to create online courses and offer the courses on various learning sites, you will even have to create your own learning sites to succeed in your career. Let's say you are an English language teacher, you can join language learning platform as a tutor and make money by teaching English. You can also create English language courses to offer on online learning platforms. However, unlike traditional classroom where the course is more geared towards theoretical aspects, online courses cater to the practical aspects, your courses and teaching should be focuses on this. You can even start teaching through youtube or zoom classes.

As an ex-teacher, I would say that teaching is not just a noble profession as is often said but a career that contributed immensely to the betterment of society. In Nigeria, the way teachers are being treated has seemed to taint the nobility of it. Be that as it may, teaching is a wonderful profession and a teacher is a person to be respected.

Answering your question directly, teaching is a good career. My dad retired as a teacher in Nigeria and. I dare say that he was a highly fulfilled man. He was not super rich but he is comfortable. Gone are the days when teachers used to appear wretched and lost out. Today's teachers are nice looking with a touch of class. Take it from me, teaching is a profession that accords you respect everywhere you go. Till yesterday, I still get random gifts from partners of students I taught.