Is it right to go back to a job/organization you had left?

Etini

Valued Contributor
For one reason or the other, one might decide to stop working in a particular organization. Is it safe and proper to go back to a job you had resigned from? Or it is a complete No No. When you leave, you won't come back. I have witnessed this happen twice in two different organizations I worked for and on both occasions, it ended in premium tears for the organization and the employees.

The idea of leaving when the ovation is loudest applies here. When you return to an organization you had previously worked for, you won't be respected. You would likely be taken for granted. Familiarity brings contempt. For the first time I witnessed this, the guy was aba management staff and returned as a management staff. But the second one I witnessed was terrible, the guy was the overall manager before he left but returned as an ordinary staff because the position of general manager was efficiently occupied. On both occasions, the guys involved were chased out like thieves.

For me, when you stop working for an organization, you only go back there to visit.

Heartstrings

This is why it is good and advisable to make a proper plan before quiting a job, think it through thoroughly, make sure you have a genuine reason why you want to resign,like maybe you are going to start your own business or you got a far better offer somewhere else. You just don't quit a job with the hope of maybe I can see another one or you sure you will be accepted at a particular place through assumption and at the end of the day you try to go back to your former job. Some employers will not accept you back, while some may consider you,if you are a good and trusted employee before.

Besides if someone else has taken your place,you don't expect the person to step down for you,so you take what is available,but personally I will never try that though,my goodbye is my goodbye and no coming back because I know I must have make a plan or already have a second option before signing my resignation.