Is it good for parents to choose career for their children?

Hagson1

Every parents wants his or her child to be productive in live, their first priority is to see their children making impact in the society and nation where they live. But it is of Paramount importance for parents to allow their children choose their career themselves. This is because human being will only bring out their best only if they enjoyed want their doing. Parents should not impose their children in what they are not interested with.

moonchild

VIP Contributor
I don't really see any problem with parents choosing careers for their kids because parents always wants the best for their kids.

Choosing a career can't be done when the kids are grown already, for example grown to teenagers or young adult, it will only lead to rebellion.

If you want to choose a career for your children then it should be done when they're kids, because kids are just cavemen they don't know much and it's easier to get kids to do what you want them to do.

For example if you want your kid to be a software engineer, you can expose him to coding at a very young age, you can get him an instructor to teach him/her and buy him/her computer toys, this will build their curiosity in that field and they'll grow up naturally passionate in that field.

Most of our adulthood is shaped by our childhood, most of our experiences as children hunt us till date, they're always fresh in our mind.

But it's crazy if you try to change a young adult or teenager you'll just give yourself hypertension because their strength has started surfacing and they feel rebellious and arrogant which is natural.

Dora Wi

I agree, it is not good if a parent pressures a child towards a given career path. Many parents do this because they are trying to ensure their kid will have a secure future, but the result is often resentment between the parties. In addition, the grown-up kid might end up feeling like they haven't been given the chance to explore their own individual personalities and desires.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
I know of many children whose parents were the ones who chose the college course. In our family my 2 elder brothers too up engineering course in college but they were not able to get a diploma. That was a failure not only for my brothers but also for my father. Being the 3rd son, my father let me choose my college course and I took up commercial science instead of engineering. At least I enjoyed my studies and I was able to graduate. However, before I finished college I took a short course with IBM Philippines to learn computer programming. Oh well, my degree in commerce was not really used because all my life I was into computers. But at least I know many things about business, sales, marketing and other segments of studies about commerce and the economy. It is not an easy course and I am happy that I passed my subjects with ease.

Yhubee

Parents can guide their children into making the right decisions concerning their career but it wouldn't be right and it won't be best if these parents pressure their children into a particular career especially when it is clear that the children are not interested or not passionate about the particular field they are being forced into.
I believe the children should be allowed to make their choices and decisions especially when they are adults.Some parents from a young age might try to expose their children to a particular field in order to make them have more knowledge and end up becoming passionate about that particular field. I will prefer that the parents should expose their children to different Fields if possible, then from there the child can grow up and make his or her choice and once that decision is made, the parent can see to how they can encourage the child and help the child to pursue their goal and do very well in their career. But if the children are forced especially in adulthood, it can lead to serious problems in the home. I know of many people that had been forced into their career path by their parents and since they were not passionate about what they were doing they did not succeed or most times they just tried to succeed in order to please their parents but deep down they were not happy with what they were doing and then some even had to leave that line of business and venture into the career that was best for them ,that was when they saw themselves succeeding, having peace and being happy with what they were doing.

D

Deleted member 62875

Sincerely speaking, in some circumstances, parents play a role in choosing career for there children and it's wisely accurate, because at first as a child you don't know who you are, but your parents Access your right from birth, from your character and behavior parents tends to figure out what best can fit you .parents play a major role in choosing a career for their children. In European countries and the United States, parents are the career choosers to there children, now look at the progress European countries and the United States are doing in terms life stability. All as the results of proper orientation by parents.Even parents didn't choose a career to their children, at first it's the parents that orient a child showing what is necessary to be put in place, benefits of being that, risks associated with a particular career. In African countries, yes some parents do choose a career for a child, it is believed that no parent will give their child snake when he request to be given a fish. Not with standing, as a child too you can choose your career your self having full knowledge of who you are, what you can do and what you can't.