Is A Financial Seminar Worth It

moonchild

VIP Contributor
To be honest most financial seminars are nothing more than glorified sales pitches. you know the type - they promise to teach you the secrets of making millions, but when you get there, all they do is try to sell you their expensive coaching program. so, before you sign up for a seminar, do your due diligence and make sure it's not just a scam.

Assuming you've found a legitimate seminar, depending on the metrics you are looking at, the question remains: is it worth the time and money? it depends. If you're a complete newbie to personal finance and you really want to improve, then a financial seminar can be a great way to get your feet wet. you'll learn the basics of budgeting, saving, and investing, and you'll be surrounded by like-minded people who are also on the path to financial freedom, which IMHO is a goodd head start.

On the other hand, if you're already well-versed in personal finance, a seminar is not be worth the investment. because you will find out that you already know most of what's being taught, and that you could have learned the same information for free online.

Now, let me get personal for a minute. I remember attending a financial seminar while I was through with school. I was excited to learn and eager to network with other people, it was advertised that it is going to be a blast. but as soon as I walked in the door, I knew I was in trouble. The room was filled with middle-aged men wearing too much cologne, I look like the odd one out. and the speaker? he was just a slick salesman who talked more about his luxury lifestyle than he did about personal finance.

I still learned something valuable though. I learned that I never wanted to be like that speaker or the majority of the people that attended the seminar, to answer the question, "Is a financial seminar worth it?" - it depends on what your goal is really.