Important Questions to Ask on Your First Day at work

Jasz

VIP Contributor
There are a few important things you can do to make your first day at work enjoyable and productive.

Here are some questions to ask yourself:

1. What am I here for? What is the purpose of my job?

2. Who are my coworkers? Do they seem friendly, or do they seem like they’re into me?

3. What is the best way to get started? Think about how you can get comfortable with your new place of employment in the first few days, weeks and months that follow.

4. How can I make an impact in this environment? If you don’t feel comfortable yet, try taking on a smaller role — even if it’s just one project — until you feel more confident about yourself as an employee and in your new workplace culture. It may also help to find out what types of projects or tasks others might be looking for help with so that you can bring something valuable to the table when seeking out opportunities for growth within your department or company as a whole.

Etini

Valued Contributor
You forgot to put questions about payment. This is one of the most important questions you should ask on your first day at work. Ask your co-workers about your boss. The kind of person he is and if he/she pays on time. Ask if he/she owes his workers salary. It might seem strange to some people but in Africa, those are the things we face. You would work for a whole month and your salaries/wages are being owed.

The part you talked about co-workers is equally important. It is important to know their personalities so you can decide on how to relate to them. Some co-workers can choke the life out of you. It is also important to talk about your job specifications. It is better to understand this from the onset so that you won't be used and abused. You can talk to your direct superior about your specific roles and obligations to the organization.

LoukiaCharilaou

Valued Contributor
It is true that the first day at work is really very stressful because you find yourself in a completely new environment without knowing what difficulties you are going to face. Your thread is very interesting and helpful at the same time. I agree with everything you mention in it. It is important to ask yourself these questions because they will definitely help you on your first day at work. You have to be prepared.