How to Save Money on Food

Mika

VIP Contributor
You might not realize butthe food is one of the biggest contributors in your expenses. And the sad thing is food is essential and you cannot eliminate your food bills. However, if you try you can of course save a lot of money on food. Here are my favorite ways.

Eat at home: If you stop eating in restaurants and cook at home, you will not only eat healthy foods but also save a lot of money.

Avoid buying junk foods and fast food: When do you have to spend money on cookies, packaged foods, ice creams, noodles, burgers, pizza, chocolates, etc. why not eat whole foods like oats, whole bread, rice, etc, you will save a lot of money.

Grow your own food: You can grow vegetables, herbs, and spices at your home in pots and containers if you do not have growing space. You can grow onions, garlic, cilantro, basil, tomatoes, petters, spinach, lettuce, etc.

LoukiaCharilaou

Valued Contributor
I fully agree with everything you mention in your thread about ways to save money on food. It is true that we spend a lot of money on food because we cannot survive without food. We have no choice. As far as I am concerned, I cook food for my family every day because it is healthier, so we never eat in restaurants. Furthermore, I do not buy fast food and I started growing some vegetables in my yard. With these ways I save money on food because they really work. Thank you very much for sharing with us this informative and helpful thread.

Abigael

Valued Contributor
These are really good ways of saving money that we spend on food. Indeed food is an essential thing that you cannot just do away with. But we have an option of spending money wisely when buying it. Using these steps will enable you to eat well and at the same time spend less.

I love the idea of avoiding junk foods. It serves to both help you save and make you eat healthy. You may be spending so much money on junk food daily. Yet you can actually live without them. Or you can choose to only buy them once in a while, maybe once a month.

Then growing your own food would be so beneficial. You will eat healthy foods that is not processed, have a high amount and save so much that you would spend buying it.

It also helps a lot to shop food wisely. I find that buying food, (those that don't go bad easily, in plenty) is so much better than buying them one by one. You spend less when you do bulky shopping.

Rin34

Being able to buy healthy food and make homemade food is very cool. But sometimes you have to work a lot, and you don't have the energy to cook at all. Sometimes you want variety in food and something tasty and junk. Admire people who can control themselves when shopping.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
Growing your own food, eating at home, avoiding buying junk foods, avoid buying packaged foods are some of the best methods to reduce cost on your food. You can try indoor gardening, vertical gardening, hydroponics, acquaponics, aeroponics, etc. to grow your own food as these framing techniques are perfect for urban areas. Initial investment is high, but once the system is installed you can use the system to grow food for a long time. You can grow food for yourself as well as grow foods and sell your produce to make additional money. You can even build a chicken coop and get fresh eggs. Cooking at home reduce you food budget substantially. In my experience, you can reduce your food bills by 50 percent just by starting to eat at home. Well, you might love caffeine, but you need to cut expenses on coffee and tea, or even carbonated drinks to cut your food bills.