How to qualify for job promotion as an employee

Jasz

VIP Contributor
A job promotion is almost always awarded to an employee who has displayed a high level of competence, initiative and loyalty in the role he currently has. Employers give employees promotions because they want to reward top-level performance while at the same time retaining employees who might otherwise leave for better opportunities elsewhere

Employee training is one method of job promotion, but there’s more to it than just the education. Career growth and the opportunity for advancement are attractive features of most jobs. An employee is generally considered for promotion if he has proven himself as a reliable worker and has a track record of productivity.

Job promotion is beneficial to the employee who receives it and to the company where he or she works.

The employer’s best strategy for hiring a new, qualified worker is often to promote from the ranks of current employees, rather than recruiting an outsider, training her and integrating her into the team.

From the employee’s vantage point, promotion gives you a wider range of responsibilities and opportunities for professional growth. So as an employee, it's a good thing to work towards promotion and as an employer, it's advisable to promote your workers when they are doing very well.

Last edited:

btaliat

VIP Contributor
Depending on the sectoe that we work for, qualifying for promotion does differ. While some companies especially the public sector does use longetivity at work, others may use the input of the workers.

I am always of the opinion that there is much need to use longetivity and duration to promote rather than using input of the workers. Though, I may be wrong, that's my stand.

Using input most time do cause heavy rivalry among workers especially when new workers perform outstandingly than existing workers. This without any doubt will cause slow growth of the company as the workers will be having some grudges against one another.

Though, promotion that's based on longetivity and duration may also promote ncompetency but it is less likely to cause rivalry. To stop all these then, we can eben be introducing incentives rather than promotion

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
In my experience a job promotion would depend on the need for the position. There was a time that our assistant manager had resigned and I was expecting our boss (he is a Japanese who is the president and owner of the software house) to hire a replacement. Being the operations manager I had to handle the chores of my assistant who left. It was a surprise when our boss invited me for a dinner meeting (with food and drinks as the custom of the Japanese businessmen). Half-jokingly he offered me a small salary increase if I would continue doing all the work that I was doing instead of hiring an assistant manager. My counter offer is to make one supervisor an understudy so I can delegate some of the chores of the assistant manager to the supervisor. It was a good deal, he said.

Holicent

VIP Contributor
How to qualify for job promotion as an employee.

If you want to be promoted, you need to put in the work. But what does that mean? There are many skills that you can develop within a company, but there are also many ways you can show your dedication and determination. These include:

-Being willing to learn new things.

-Being willing to take on extra projects or tasks.

-Having an open mind and an ability to speak with people from different backgrounds and cultures.

-Being willing to take risks and try new things.

Also, to qualify for a job promotion as an employee, you need to meet certain criteria.

First, you need to have performed at least the minimum level of work required for your position.

Second, your performance must be satisfactory enough that it merits a promotion.

Third, there are no other qualified candidates available who would do the job better, so the ball is in your court by then.