How to plant and make money through Rice Farming?

Sherman198

VIP Contributor
Rice farming is one of the greatest way to make money in any where you are. It doesn't matter if you are a complete farmer or not.

If truly you want to go into rice farming.....

Things you need to do are as follows:

Getting a land:

Planting that starts from nursery:

Transplanting:

Weeding:

Application of Magic fertilizer:

Supplication of water consistently:

Application of the last set of fertilizer (Urea to be precise):

Harvest:

Getting a land: If you can get an hecter of land either through leasing or rent, though the land has to be a land that can extremely sustain and retain water and make sure the land is well cleared.

Planting that starts from nursery: You need to plant from nursery, which also refer to as Nursery Bed in Nigeria. This enables the rice to grow and germinate seeds very effectively during the transplanting.

Transplanting: At this period, You need to transplant your rice in a place with water.....Your rice needs a lot of water consistently. And if you are into dry season farming, you may need to dig and put the tube well closer to your rice farm, so your rice can get enough water before harvest.

Weeding: You would definitely need to weed out unwanted grass that can affect the growth of your rice because if not, they will be threat to the growth of your rice or even destroy it, if measures are not taken.

Application of Magic fertilizer: There is this fertilizer in Nigeria that most farmers in the Northern Nigeria are using and it's highly effective, you might want to apply this fertilizer Incase you are in Nigeria but for other countries you might want to look for a better fertilizer to apply.

Supplication of water consistently: And this time around you may want to constantly be filling your rice with water till it's almost done for harvest.

Application of the last set of fertilizer (Urea to be precise): This will need the application of the last fertilizer that will enable your rice to shoot out in a big way. Though, it's not really necessary as you had applied fertilizer before....But it's still okay.

Harvest: After few weeks you might be planning for harvest.

All these are just preamble on rice farming.....These doesn't technically guarantee your success if you follow all these during rice farming. You need to do your research adequately well before investing in rice farming.

Thanks!

Mandy96

Valued Contributor
Right from time, agriculture generally has always been a good means to earn a living but the problem we are having in nigeria today is that most of the youths do not want to do it because they think it is too stressful for the profits being made from it which is why you see them always trying to find a shortcut to wealth. The only part of the country I can say that it is been done quite alright is the north where it is almost like a culture, even a teenager would be given a farmland of his own

Mika

VIP Contributor
"After few weeks you might be planning for harvest."
Are you joking?
From the time to plant seeds and then harvest, you need to wait for at least 4 months for harvesting rice. I am not a farmer but I come from the farming community and I know how rice is planted. You need a lot of lands to grow rice and profit from rice. You also need to water your rice plants regularly, therefore, if you do not have an irrigation system, you cannot farm rice. You need a lot of human labor, if you are using machines, you need to spend a lot of money n buying machines.

Sherman198

VIP Contributor
Are you joking?
From the time to plant seeds and then harvest, you need to wait for at least 4 months for harvesting rice. I am not a farmer but I come from the farming community and I know how rice is planted. You need a lot of lands to grow rice and profit from rice. You also need to water your rice plants regularly, therefore, if you do not have an irrigation system, you cannot farm rice. You need a lot of human labor, if you are using machines, you need to spend a lot of money n buying machines.
Did you even read and follow my whole post or you just pick up a line for a counterattack? Where did I mention that you only need weeks for the whole planting and harvesting? Planning for harvesting comes weeks after the application of the last fertilizer. And talking about irrigation, I think I mentioned tube well, unless you don't know what tube well is!

Sherman198

VIP Contributor
Are you joking?
Did you even read and follow my whole post or you just pick up a line for a counterattack? Where did I mention that you only need weeks for the whole planting and harvesting? Planning for harvesting comes weeks after the application of the last fertilizer. And talking about irrigation, I think I mentioned tube well, unless you don't know what tube well is!
Right from time, agriculture generally has always been a good means to earn a living but the problem we are having in nigeria today is that most of the youths do not want to do it because they think it is too stressful for the profits being made from it which is why you see them always trying to find a shortcut to wealth. The only part of the country I can say that it is been done quite alright is the north where it is almost like a culture, even a teenager would be given a farmland of his own
Yes that's true I think people are running away from farming especially in Nigeria.....The majority of the youths wants white collars jobs that are not available. If we can all go back to farming, there will be enough jobs for the youths and there will be enough food to serve the country.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
Rice farming is lucretive but sometimes for you to be able to find a A suitable location that will be able to grow rice successfully will be very difficult because rice generally should be grown in a swampy area close to a water bodies, planting of rice generally is not an easy task because if you're not using the modern farming system then you really have to work hard because you need to prevent pests and birds from feeding in your farming product, bird and other creatures that feeds on rice must be well controlled. You must understand the challenges of this business before embarking on the journey.

Sherman198

VIP Contributor
Rice farming is lucretive but sometimes for you to be able to find a A suitable location that will be able to grow rice successfully will be very difficult because rice generally should be grown in a swampy area close to a water bodies, planting of rice generally is not an easy task because if you're not using the modern farming system then you really have to work hard because you need to prevent pests and birds from feeding in your farming product, bird and other creatures that feeds on rice must be well controlled. You must understand the challenges of this business before embarking on the journey.
You are very correct though....But I stay in the north where this rice farming are what we do here....So all those things you have mentioned above, are not obstacles in investing in rice farming here cos measures are put in place to takle those things....We all know that rice needs an irrigated land and talking about pests, there are chemicals for killing pests and likewise.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
You are very correct though....But I stay in the north where this rice farming are what we do here....So all those things you have mentioned above, are not obstacles in investing in rice farming here cos measures are put in place to takle those things....We all know that rice needs an irrigated land and talking about pests, there are chemicals for killing pests and likewise.
Well maybe I should have done my own personal research before making comments on the post about how rice can be cultivated when there is no no natural water bodies closer, and beside investing in rice business might not really be possible most especially to those people that are living in the Urban settlement, except they can indirectly invest in the business through companies that will offer to give them a certain return amount on investment, so I don't really know if something like this is available in the organisation you are working with for people to invest in rice business remotely.

Sherman198

VIP Contributor
Well maybe I should have done my own personal research before making comments on the post about how rice can be cultivated when there is no no natural water bodies closer, and beside investing in rice business might not really be possible most especially to those people that are living in the Urban settlement, except they can indirectly invest in the business through companies that will offer to give them a certain return amount on investment, so I don't really know if something like this is available in the organisation you are working with for people to invest in rice business remotely.
Even people living in the urban has complete access to irrigated farm land. There are so many lands across all the states of our country. The major issue is insecurities majorly in the south west that's affecting farmers in doing their farming job. The major thing is to look for a safer land, that's not too deep in the forest and farm.

And yes I work for an Agricultural company here, that gives farming inputs to the farmers and collect small percentage of their harvest as recovery.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
Even people living in the urban has complete access to irrigated farm land. There are so many lands across all the states of our country. The major issue is insecurities majorly in the south west that's affecting farmers in doing their farming job. The major thing is to look for a safer land, that's not too deep in the forest and farm.

And yes I work for an Agricultural company here, that gives farming inputs to the farmers and collect small percentage of their harvest as recovery.
Wow ,if people can be able to engage in this successfully then I believe some people can really make a lot of money from these investments because as we all understand rice is one of the most consumed products here in Nigeria, and most of the rice we are using here are imported because I believe Nigeria is not capable of providing enough rice that is necessary to sustain the large population, like the type of rice you are selling how much are they selling in bags , because I know it depends on the quality of the rice that will determine the price

Jamoflondon

Verified member
Apparently, rice is currently one of the most expensive food in the country and the government is not actively doing anything about that, what really matters is that it could be as a source of incoming to some farmers because now it is obvious that people do not really have a choice as to which type of rice to be eaten because the foreign one that they used to go for has become so expensive that they can’t afford it anymore and they will be forced to settle for the locally made ones which is where you will make massive income as a farmer

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
I am not a farmer, I do not even have interest in gardening. However, I believe gardening and farming both are lucrative businesses. In order to farm rice, you need a big farmland. If you do not have your own farmland, you are rent farmlands and do rice farming. Rice is staple food in Asia and I think there is big money to be made by farming rice.