How to overcome the fear of losing your job

Augusta

VIP Contributor
It can be physical and mental draining when you keep on living in fear of losing your job. This is like killing yourself before it even actually happens.

So how do you fight fear of a job loss to keep your mind at peace.

Be positive minded

The first step to overcoming your fear is to always see and think positively that you are good with your job and nothing will go wrong.

Prove yourself.
Always do your job to the best of your ability. Show that you are worth all that you think of yourself. So if you are sacked then it will be the company's loss.

Actively prepare.
You need to always get your self prepared then you can move on if it happens. You need to get yourself off the fret mode.

Look for other jobs.
Tell yourself if it happens it is to look for other jobs.Thid is you practicing self-care. it will help you nip the fears.

Add yours

E

eldavis

Truth be told, once you know your worth, you really do not have to worry about loosing your job. The best way to secure your job is to simply be good at what you do. Keep looking for ways to improve your skills, add other skills to your arsenal as well. And like you said, look for other jobs and opportunities. These days its pretty had to find honest workers who would be willing to work and are actually good at what they do. Once you find such a worker, no one would be willing to let them go easily.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
You have a good point with your submission when once you have all all it's takes in your arsenal to be a good worker you will not be afraid or fear of losing your job because even if the workplace undermine your abilities or try to make it look as if you are not worth their company you will not be scared because you know you can easily get a job elsewhere.

I think this is how it should be we need to go to that point that if we are sacked from a workplace we know it is their loss and it has nothing to do with you again with having the ability to work well getting a new job might not be difficult because the next company or workplace might see your abilities and appreciate them and even pay you better I've seen a lot of persons get sacked and miraculously got their dream jobs.

Yusra3

VIP Contributor
If you’re afraid of losing your job, here are some tips to help you overcome that fear.

First, try to stay positive. Don’t let the fact that you may be laid off or fired color your view of yourself as a worker. You have skills and experience that can be valuable if you find a new job quickly.

Second, keep an open mind about what might happen to your career if you lose your current one. If someone else has offered you a position, would it be better for you to take it? Or would it be better for them if they didn’t have to hire someone new?

Third, avoid comparing yourself to others in the same role. you wouldn’t want them thinking about how poorly they are doing compared with someone else at their company! Instead, focus on what makes YOU special and unique compared with other people who hold similar positions in society today.

Finally, remember that there is always hope! Even if things seem hopeless right now, think back on how many times in your life things have turned out differently than expected originally…and how much happier they made YOU when they did so!

Etini

Valued Contributor
You would only have this fear if you know you are not valuable as a professional. I have never been scared of losing my job. That doesn't mean I don't give in my best in any organization. I approach my work in any organization as if that day is my last day.

I don't let any organization feel they are doing me a favor by employing me and getting my services. I put myself in a position where the organization should be grateful for having me work for them. With this, you can get away with lots of things without losing your job.

I have been the one to resign from organizations throughout my period of working for people. No one has ever sacked me. You can work without feat because you know it is difficult to replace you. They can't get another me. That's why I have no fear of losing any job I find myself in.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Your post was really insightful especially your first paragraph it is always good to have good abilities and skills so that you can show the workplace you're great hand and as such you cannot be taken for granted.

I totally agree with you that one should get to that stage that a company or workplace will know your worth and you will not feel less confident of yourself to the extent of having the fear of losing your job and not having another one so you have to show yourself great in the workplace and let them know that they are not doing you a favour by giving you a job and that you know your worth in the workplace and if they decide to sack you it becomes their loss and you can move on to better things and even a better workplace.

So the bottom line is that we need to get ourselves prep up for any eventualities.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
First of all we need to understand the reason why so many people may be afraid of losing their jobs. One of the most important reason is because where they are working for is not really trusted or solid in a sense that it may not likely last for a long period of time.

It could also be as a result of the fact that they could be fired anytime but that's not we standing. In as much as all these things are reality we shouldn't really put it in mind to a point that we start feeling depressed from our thinking.

You just have to try as much as possible to work and give the best of your service to any organisation you are working for. You can never tell , even if anything happened to the organisation or you are fired , a lot of other organizations will be very much interested to take you in.

moonchild

VIP Contributor
To be able to overcome the fear of losing a job, you have to embrace financial independence, if you are not financially independent it will be hard not to be afraid of losing it, you should be able to have a side hustle, side business or even a full fledged business as you are working, If I'm to get a job, I will plan my exit from day 1 and I will make sure I save more 60% of my income and plan vigorously about starting a business.

If you go into a job and become complacent and you get fired in no time you will slip into depression, you should strive to start something of your own no matter how little it is, with time you will be able to scale and be an owner too.

Currently, there are a lot of layoffs happening and it might just be the right for individuals to rethink.

King bell

VIP Contributor
It can be difficult to overcome the fear of losing your job, especially if you have been with the same company for a long time. However, there are some things you can do to help ease your fears.

First, try to stay positive and remember that a job loss is not the end of the world. It can be difficult to find another job, but it is not impossible. There are many resources available to help you find a new job, so make sure to utilize them.

Second, take some time to assess your skills and experience. If you feel like you are lacking in either of these areas, consider taking some classes or getting some additional training. This will help you feel more confident in your ability to find another job if you do lose your current one.

Third, try to stay financially responsible. This means saving up as much money as you can and being mindful of your spending. If you have a good financial cushion, you will be less stressed if you do lose your job.

Lastly, remember to take care of yourself both physically and mentally. Job loss can be a very stressful experience, so make sure to take care of yourself.