How to easily become a landlord and stop paying rent.

Etini

Valued Contributor
I am going to share my journey on how I moved from being a tenant to a landlord. Paying rent is not an easy thing to do if you calculate the amount one spends on rent for a decent accommodation in 5 to 7 years, it is enough to own your property.

Having spent so much on rent, I made up my mind that in 2 years, I would stop paying rent and own my property. Considering I was a lower-middle-class income earner at the time, I had to save up to acquire land. I bought land in a place that was not yet developed but had the potential for development. The land was relatively cheap. I then contacted an architect friend who helped sketch a plan at a relatively cheap cost. I mapped out the essentials I needed if I were to move into the place immediately. These were good toilet and water. I set out to dig a soak away and drill a borehole. Then I did excavation and did the foundation. The plan was a five-bedroom bungalow. I figured that it would take me ages to finish the building with my income level. I decided to build out a single room and more in and develop the building gradually.

I was able to build out a single room out of the whole plan. I moved in and from the, and my romance with rent payment ended. My message? It must not be a choice location. Secondly, don't wot to complete the building or don't wait for bulk money to build the whole house. You can save that rent money and channel it to budding your property.

Heartstrings

This is a very good idea and I have witness it myself,like I know about 3 people who did this and they are living rent free now. Spending money yearly on rentage is really not an easy task, paying rent is one of the most important thing that you spend money on,you wouldn't want an embarrassment from your landlord, especially if the person isn't so nice.

Living in a rent free house or rather your own house brings a kind of peace and relieve but I assure you it isn't an easy thing to achieve, especially if your income is low but with dedication and determination you would be able to start up something gradually. This is where saving up gradually or investing comes in. Because personally I Rather save up or invest than loan money to build my house,i wouldn't want to start my house with loans. But in all I commend you for a job well done my friend.