How should your blog evolve over time?

Holicent

VIP Contributor
Your blog is a living, breathing thing. It will change over time. You'll have new ideas, and you'll need to adapt your content to reflect those changes.

This is where I get a little more nerdy than I feel comfortable with. But I think it's important to look at how your blog evolves over time, because it can help you improve and stay focused on what matters most.

Every year (or so), I do a review of my blog and decide if there are any major changes that need to be made in order for me to continue writing about the same topics or topics at all. This helps me keep focused on what's most important — that the reader gets value from my content. And if we're not getting the results we want, then we can't keep doing business as usual.

So here's what I do: I look at my last year's stats from Google Analytics, which show how many people came to my blog each month — how many people clicked through on links, how many people visited more than once, etc., etc., etc.. Then I take a deep breath and ask myself some hard questions.